Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blocked/ Impacted Bowel + Other Problems  (Read 12876 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Blocked/ Impacted Bowel + Other Problems
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:15:22 AM »

::silly::OK, here we go again ...
    Before, I have always answered questions and did research on a one-on-one basis, and will continue to do so ...
BUT ...
   Since this is a forum for the betterment/help for chinchillas and their owners, I am going to share some of the info periodically that I feel might help others.  (Unless I am told I can not.)
    I have received an e-mail about a sick chinnie, the owner chose not to air the problem on the board, so their name will not be mentioned.

Sent to me: April 12th 12:47 PM
I am new member of the Chinchilla website here, and have seen your responses to many questions regarding health problems. My little guy, is really sick and my heart is just breaking and im desperate for any advice or answers to whats wrong. Please read my story and email me back.  My male chin, is sick. I took him to the emergency vet on
Friday night because he was bleeding from his rectum and laying on his side.
At times he would even drag his bottom while climbing or jumping around the cage. I also noticed that there was no stool in his cage, nor was he eating or drinking.  I took him right away to the animal hospital.
At the hospital they told us he could have a parasite but it was too hard to tell without a stool sample  to look at. His vitals were all good, and he was jumping around in his cage, so his activity level was good at that time.
 They said that the bleeding MAY have been caused to irration from parasistes, but again there was no confirmation. He was on Metronidazole for 5 days twice a day. On tuesday, I did a follow up appt. with an exotic vet, who told us that she thought it was werid.
He was still bleeding from time to time, still wasn’t pooping or drinking water and wasn’t eating.
So she gave us some baby food and a syringe and told us to try to feed him. I was able to bring in a stool sample yesterday and the results came back Negative for parasites!
She recommened that I complete both meds, the Tri-Meth-Sulfa Susupension/Bactrim and the Metronidzone and see what happens.
I feel soooo sad and lost, my daughter (10yrs) is just so sad too! I really feel that there isn't much care for Chinchilla's or help for them if they get sick like my little guy is. Please email me back and tell me anything that could help ...

Below is my response to the owner, on April 12 at 4:47PM:
   It sounds like several things are going on ... first thing is we need to get his system moving as normal as possible as quickly as possible ... when the system shuts down, so does the chin.
    The baby food/apple sauce mixed with rice or wheat cereal is good to help get him started, but we also need to try a few other things.  Keep in mind ... I am NOT a vet and the advice I give you is what I would do if the chinchilla were mine.
    We need to get him hydrated and fluids going in as much as possible ...
1 part Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice to 3 parts water in his water bottle will encourage him to drink.  But to start with, I would also give it to him in an eye dropper, just encase he has a problem with being able to use the water bottle at this time. 
Pedylite will get fluids into the system faster also ... Gerber puts out their brand of it in a little 4 pack of single serving bottles apple flavored.  Once it is opened, it is only good for 24 hours, so the single serving pack of 4 will last you 4 days as apposed to the big bottle being bigger and cheaper, but it won't work after 24 hours and needs to be thrown away.   Add nothing to the pedylite, use two different bottles one for the pedylite and one for the cranberry juice and water mix.

It sounds like a blockage and it has got to get moving, if that is the case.  He is not eating because he feels full because everything is stopped up inside him ... this could go bad quickly.

1) Please ask the vet for some Critical Care.   Mix the Critical Care and a small amount of the Nutri Cal with water to the consistency of what is needed to pass through an eye dropper or a syringe.  Feed him.  If you need to know how to feed him, check out the short videos on my second website "Luv 'N Chins II" at :  http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/  Look at the story called,    The First Signs Of Trouble     This is about a feeding a kit, but it's basically the same when you feed an older one.
     Once he starts eating on his own, you can make little football shapes about the size of a raisin, with the Critical Care and a small amount (about the size of a pea) of Nutri Cal and give it to him like a treat.  Nutri-Cal is heavy with sugars, so try not to over do it.

If you can not get any Critical care tonight, use alfalfa hay and chinchilla pellets ground to almost a powder form in the blender ... careful, it gets very dusty!

2)  While you are out ... go to the pet store and pick up some Nutri-Cal and some Petramalt.  Both should be in the dog/cat section of the pet store and both come in tubes.  The Petramalt is used to help pass blockage in the digestive system.  It gets rid of fur balls and usually can help anything else "slide through".   Give him some, about the size of a pea ... put it on his lips or just inside his mouth.

3)  Run by the health food store and get some raw wheat germ and/or acidophilus ... once they are opened they have to be refrigerated. 
" He was on Metronidazole for 5 days twice a day." 
I love these vets!   Same site, please read: Don't Let the 'Cure' Kill Your Chinchilla!  At: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/   Metronidazole is an antibiotic made to kill bacteria (I think, if I am remembering the name of the medication correctly).  If it kills bacteria ... it kills all of them ... including the good bacteria (called flora) that is needed to digest the chin's food properly.  This must be replaced in order for the system to continue working.   Mix the raw wheat germ and/or acidophilous with any thing you are feeding him ... Critical Care, baby cereal, baby fruit.  (Do not give any fruit that is grown with a pit in it ... such as peaches.  Not good for a chin at all.)  Live bacteria yogurt is also good for this ... my little ones love the blueberry and the strawberry flavors .... Dannon puts out a 6 pack of individual serving sizes.

"She recommened that I complete both meds, the Tri-Meth-Sulfa Susupension/Bactrim and the Metronidzone and see what happens." 
Be sure to follow the instructions from the vet, but also give the acidophilus or raw wheat germ in-between the doses to replenish the digestive flora.   If you use the Yogurt for this ... keep in mind ... yogurt is a dairy product and will counter act the properties of an antibiotic if given to close to the same time as the meds ... there needs to be a minimum of 3 hours before and after the meds or they will just cancel each other out.

4) 
"I was able to bring in a stool sample yesterday and the results came back Negative for parasites!" 
Some vets do not realize how quickly the Guardia parasite dies.  To get an accurate reading/result of the sample, the poop must go from the chin to the microscope in less than two minutes for the parasite or any signs of it to be seen.  Check out : http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/  and read the article under : Guardia   Then try to get it through to your vet ... you are not trying to tell them how to do their job, just pointing out a fact some do not remember about that particular parasite that can be deadly.

The bleeding could be from an injury or from a parasite that has gone rapid, I am not sure what else it could be from, so I am going to forward this to someone that might be of more help to us and I will e-mail you as soon as I hear from her. 

Were there any x-rays taken?
How old is he? 
Is he an "only chin"?
Any sign of an injury?

... was bleeding from his rectum and laying on his side.
At times he would even drag his bottom while climbing or jumping around the cage.

Any unusual movements or actions by him? 
Shaking? 
Trembling? 
Stiffness of the extremities or drawing of his head backward at a strange angle?
Is he still "dragging his bottom"? 
Is he using his hind legs normally?
Has he fallen?
Has there been anyone around him that is normally not there?  Company maybe?
     I'll stay near the computer, or you are more than welcome to call me, if you would like. 
My number is (540) 345-7121.
   Sincerely,
     Jo Ann
Luv 'N Chins [/i]

I also forwarded the e-mail to a research center we are all familiar with, but I did not ask permission to use the name, so, I prefer not to, here is what the response was:
Lord help the little chin. Giving it both Flagyl and Trimethsul. If the chin didn't have an impaction, it would have a course of those drugs. Did she say if they took an x-ray of the bowel? That would have ruled out tumor or blockage. Meanwhile fluids and food. Oral fluids are ok but it is easy to give subQ fluids on a chin.
That is always an option with Rungers Lacate, about 150ml.

7:28 a.m.  Still waiting to hear from you.  The lady that I forwarded your e-mail to is with _________ ... a research center for chinchillas.  We would both like to hear from you to see how your little one is doing. 
    Have they done an x-ray on him to rule out a tumor and/or a blockage?  This information would help.
    With what is going on, dehydration is almost a given.  Keep up the two fluids I told you about ... pydelite and a separate bottle of cranberry juice and water mix and by eye dropper.  According to ____, giving fluids oral is ok and you need to keep it up, but it is easier to give subQ fluids to a chin ... Rungers Lacate, about 150 ml.  This is fluids by injection under the skin ... it gets it there immediately.  This would have to be done by your vet.  I can not stress to you how important it is to take care of this a.s.a.p. 
     Normally nuts are a big 'No-No', but with this, if it is an impaction/blockage caused by poop, as a last ditch effort, give him an almond. 
     Please let us know how he is doing.
     Thanks!
       Jo Ann[/i]

On 4/12 at 9:44PM & on 4/13 at 7:48 a.m., I have e-mailed her, with no responce ... hopefully that does not mean the chin has passed away.   At this time I have not had a response, so I do not know how the little chin is doing, hopefully I will hear something soon.

::wave::
Jo Ann

Anyone have anything they have had to use that worked for their chinchilla?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:01:49 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Blocked/ Impacted Bowel + Other Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »

::silly::Well, looks like I've been worrying for no reason ...
I just received this e-mail on 4/13 at 11:21 a.m.  ...

A BIG thank you for your response....so far my little guy has just begun passing stool, however ive been feeding him by syringe, and giving him water syringe all today. I just read your email and will get all these things in the morning. I will write more to you in the morning, and give you a call if I have any further questions.

::thumbsup:: Guess my help was not needed after all.  :)

It will be intresting to find out more details, hopefully.

At the last show, one of the judges made a statement:
 "A healty chinchilla can live for 4 days without water and 6 days without food." 

::think::  I think we have found a chin that has set a record ...  ::)
Sick chin ... no eating, drinking, pooping or peeing for 7 days, according to the owner ...
is still alive, and now doing well ...
with only food and water given to him, by his owner with a syringe and it brought him back to health.     

You learn something new everyday!   :::grins::

Wonder if they found out what was making him bleed? 
  Hopefully I will hear something from her again soon.

::howdythere::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:17:02 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »

I think it depends on how much of a fighter the chinnie is. I'm glad it's looking better and thanks for sharing the information. It's always good to learn more and be prepared.

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »

Just wanted to add some things about the Metronidazole.  Its an antibiotic that is effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. These bacteria can cause bacterial peritonitis.   Giardia are parasites (protozoans) that can cause abdominal pain and chronic diarrhea. Metronidazole blocks some of the cell functions in these organisms, causing them to die, which hopefully will make the animal better, if there is no underlying problem.
Another name for Metronidazole is Flagyl.
I am a nurse at an animal hospital and we use it all the time, for dogs and cats with diarrhea mainly and who are not eating or drinking.

I agree with all Jo Ann said about dehydration.  It is soooo important to keep these guys hydrated, if you cant get Lactated Ringers from a vet (if the situation is real bad) Pedialyte and Cranberry Juice in water will help greatly.  I used Criticare with one of my chins who had impacted bowls, turns out that his intestines were actually twisted onto itself and no treatment was going to fix it, nor would surgery. 
But for your case Criti care and Nutrical are wonderful at getting the nutrients back into its system.  Lactated Ringers from a vet is a great option too because it will replace all the electrolytes the chin has lost.

Yogurt is a great idea too Jo Ann!  It is a ProBiotic which replaces all good bacteria to your digestive system.
My chins love a little bit here and there too!

Im so glad your chin seems to be doing better.  We will want updates!!!
~Jen~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:45:56 AM »

::silly::Hi All,

I got a call from the young lady with this chin ... she lives in California.  She had left out much in her e-mails to me.

Tuesday evening was when she started giving him baby applesauce and water with a syringe by mouth, so he had not gone without water or food for the 7 days I had thought.

Wednesday he pooped out a small part of the blockage ... but only pooped the one time that day.

Thursday, he continued and was getting better.

Friday, yesterday, she picked up the things I had mentioned and has started him on them.  She has chosen to change vets and I told her California Chins often conferred by phone, with vets about chinchilla problems, especially the bad ones.  She is going to let the new vet know this.

No news yet as to what made him bleed, but he has stopped.  Hopefully the new vet will be able to tell.

I think it depends on how much of a fighter the chinnie is. I'm glad it's looking better and thanks for sharing the information. It's always good to learn more and be prepared.

Jenova, I think it is very important we share as much information as possible.  Yes, a chinnie being a fighter is very important and the fact that we do not give up on them until there is nothing left to do is also important.  You don't want to make one linger if they are in pain constantly, but if there is a chance to save them, do try to do so.  God granted them one very important thing ... the ability to quickly pass on, if there is nothing else to be done for them.

~~~~~~~

The ranchers, with hundreds and sometimes thousands of chinchillas, could not afford to run to the vet everytime anything went wrong, so they shared the information among themselves.  I am fortunate enough to have a copy of one of the old rancher's hand book along with "The Joy of Chinchillas" and "After 40 Years" by Alice Kline ... I keep all three handy.

The chinchilla is relatively new to the pet world and new to the exotic pet vets world also.  Parts of the country have had them as pets for 20 years, while other parts of the country are just now getting introduced to the precious chinchilla.   

It is imperative that we all share information with each other!

QTPie,

Thanks for the info on Metronidazole (Flagyl) ... more info to add to my records. 
Wish I were younger ... I would go to veterinary school and be of much more use/help to chins and their owners.

~~~~~~~~

Many breeders (hobby breeders with small herds) think they have to hide a problem they are having with a chin in their herd ... that it would not look right for them to have a problem with a chinchilla ... it is just the opposite ... no breeder, with much time and chinchillas has not had a problem here and there ... we hobby breeders, as well as individuals, need to share with each other how to prevent, care for and raise our chins.  Pride should never get in the way of saving a chinchilla's life.

I have been lucky, I have had very few problems with my chinchillas ... BUT ... I credit much of this to the many who have e-mailed me with problems with their little ones.  In my research to help them, I have learned, through them, what to look for, what to do, and not to do for my chins if I see signs of a problem or something unusual about my chins. 

We need to share problems and working resolutions as well as what has not worked.   All of this is being a part of the World of Chinchillas and being a responsible breeder/owner of chinchillas.

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:00:43 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

QTPie61282

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

It would be nice if more vets knew about chinchillas, instead of playing the guessing game.  The vet I have is wonderful.  She is affiliate with our hospital but she does cats and critters. We only do cats and dogs.

I had wanted to be one at one time, but 6 years of school was enough for me to get my bachelors and my vet tech associates.  I didnt really want to continue on for who ever knows how long.

But im content at where I am now.
And I agree, we should all be fortunate enough to have all the breeders and ranchers who know information on chins or we and chin owners would be lost.
~Jen~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

::silly::It sure would be!!!   

Do keep in mind, tell your vets that there is a forum for Vets concerning chinchillas ... they need to check out http://www.CAchins.org.    Click on Vets, then on Vets Forum.  They can get lots of info there.

Help enable your vet to learn more about chinchillas!

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:37:18 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

QTPie61282

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »

Ohh, I like that Idea. Next time Im in I will give it to them.

Thanks!
~Jen~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »

::silly::As of Saturday, all was still going OK with the little chin in California.   I'll keep you posted as I hear something.

Thanks!
Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »

::silly::Talked to CA yesterday.

He's been doing better ... until yesterday ... came up with diarrhea with what looked like mucous on the poop.

She took him to the vet run the tests needed ... no Guardia ... just diarrhea!!!    ::fruit::   

(And we rejoice at diarrhea??? ... that's right, especially if the alternate could have been Guardia.)

She has him on spoon-size shredded wheat because he was not fond of the burnt toast at all. 
It's beginning to get firmer ... we keep our fingers crossed.  ::nod::

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up