Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behavir questions..why did she have a hissy fit??  (Read 4057 times)

Marie14625

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Behavir questions..why did she have a hissy fit??
« on: April 05, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »

After over two years, I find I am still seeing behaviors in Trixie that I cannot explain.  Last night when I had her out, she aid alot of running, which she does often.  Then she hopped back into her carrier..which usually tells me she is ready togo back to her cage...especially if she runs in and out a couple of times.  Sometimes, I find she will go in there to pee, and come back out.  Last night when I went to take her out of the carrier ( I usually will hand carry her back to her cage, allowing some cuddle time).  She usually will hop onto my hand when I hold it there, and wait for me to get ahold of her.  But this time, she would not hop onto my hand, and started biting..HARD.  I picked her up, and she promptly tried to take a bite out of my nose.  ::pull hair:: ::chinmad::  I thought that maybe she wanted to play more, so I set her on the chair, so she could hop down.  She ran around the room once..and went back into her carrier, and stayed there.  This time let me bring her out.  Now, nothing happened to lead me to believe she was hurt, and she seemed OK when she was back into her cage...went for a drink (normal for her after a run) and then went to lay down for a nap  in her wheel..again  normal for her.  My husband laughed and said if it were me, he would say it was PMS or something.
Today she seems OK...came out as we were leaving for work to wait for her morning treat, and went back to bed.  Was in her hammock when we got home.  Came over looking for attention when I went to see her.
What do you think?

totolover

• View Profile
Re: Behavir questions..why did she have a hissy fit??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »

It seems like her nipping you was to tell you that she wanted to run some more. She didn't break the skin, did she? She sounds pretty tame and she is used to routines. Has she been with a male lately? If not, that rules out pregnancy. Also, sometimes chins stop running and go to a place to rest. My toto does this. Trixie may go into the carrier to rest and you thought she wanted to go home.

Marie14625

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »

Thanks.  She is an only chin, and has not been with a male.  Since I originally posted the message, she has calmed a bit and is fine.  I think it was a bit of a reminding me who is in charge,
When she bit, she did not break the skin.  I did get a little scratch on my nose, but I think her tooth may have scrapped me.

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »

;)...Yea chinchillas are just like people sometimes...when you have a bad day you dont want anyone messing with you when you sit back a relieve your stress. I have found that Chins are the same way!....Their playtime is their "Destress" so sometimes when they are cranky they will tend to let you know with a good bark...she may have been in heat also...females tend to get more cranky when they are in heat even if there is no male around.  Thankfully my chins bark when they are cranky and I know to give them a treat that usually calms them down!!!...lol

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »

I have some that can get pretty testy when they are not ready to do what I want them to.
They do indeed have wills of their own.
It could have been anything from a scent she picked up at that moment to the tone in your voice, to she was not ready, or even ready ages ago and you didn't listen. ::think::
If we could only read minds eh!
All you can do is watch for it again and make a connection to something.
I'm sure you see worse than that of she was sick or injured.
Sounds like she was peed off about something.
Little darling
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:43 AM »

::silly::Hi Marie,

The longer you have her, the more she will surprise you, when you think you have finally figured her out.  They, as humans do, change their ways, wants, likes and dislikes over time.  I think she thought you should have known she was not ready and decided it was time for a little reminder lesson.   ::) 

Everything said so far could be true ... we have to really learn and pay attention to the least little thing that can change and what effect it may have on your chin.  You can place the carrier/cage in a different place, wear a different perfume, change clothing detergent or hand cream ... anything this simple can sometimes make a difference to them. 

To Quote Debbie:
All you can do is watch for it again and make a connection to something.

Debbie, if we could read their little minds, we might not think they are so sweet, at times.   rofl

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 07:48:34 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »

Debbie, if we could read their little minds, we might not think they are so sweet, at times.   rofl

So true!  :::grins::

Sometimes my boyfriend does a voice over for Cheech. It usually consists of (In a Mexican accent): "Ahh, you're doing something. Something for me! What are you doing? Come over here and let me bite it. Come over here and let me bite you!"

::silly:: I love chinchillas.  ::silly::

Marie14625

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »

Trixie is definatly a hoot.  Last night I had her out to play, and she spent a considerable amount of time sitting on my head..peering down over at me.  I sometimes will bring her in a treat to have while at play.  Last night I brought a small bowl with a few dried banana chips in it.  She would hop up onto my lap..nose around for just the right one and grab it..then run across the room to eat it.

Her other favorite thing to do is stare out the window.  Now mind you..it is dark outside, there is nothing to see..but she still loves looking at it. ::shrug::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:57 AM »

When we let Cheech out in the front room he would sit on the windowsill, usually on my mother-in-law's elephant figure, oh did we get some funny looks from passers by. :P
I always thought it was because it was cold up there.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »

I stand inside the screen door with mine, with in season ;D
You should see them when we have a down poor of rain, they are amazed.
My son shaves his head in the summer, and the chins really love jumping on it.I think they have a little bristle traction.
They sure are a riot. :2funny:
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up