Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The chinchillas are in a tizzy........  (Read 4576 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
The chinchillas are in a tizzy........
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:18:17 AM »

And Im not quite sure why!  ::shrug::

Its my standard pair, Im quite sure she is pregnant, I'm guessing around 80-100 days now.  There is no way it could be any earlier as they were put together about 105 days ago.  But it could quite possibly be later.  She has gained about 80g so far.  And now today instead of the normal "hibernate during the day" they're both going quite bonkers in their cage.  She's pulling her hidey house back and forth across the cage, flinging bedding everywhere, and quite frantically just running around like a mad woman.  He just kind of sits there and watches her, and goes in and out of the house every once in a while.

Even the chin in the cage next to them isn't sleeping now like he usually is.  He's out and moving around.  And then the 5 chins in quarentine in the other room are calling and bouncing as well.  The rest of them aren't affected though, and are just sleeping as usual.

I put this under breeding because it is the pregnant chin who started this all, but I guess it could go under general chin questions.  Any ideas as to why the chins are all in a tizzy like this?  ::think::
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: The chinchillas are in a tizzy........
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »

::silly::The other chins, even in another room, may be reacting to the one female pitching temper tantrums.

If the male was persuing her, I would think that she is only pregnant in one side and is she is "in season" from the other side.  This is rare, but it does happen.  They can be pregnant on one side and get pregnant in the other side during the next normal cycle time.  But that does not seem to be the case since he is behaving himself.

:) If they have been together 105 days ... if she got pregnant that first day, she could be close to delivering.  The average gestation period is 111 days, but it can vary from 103 to 122 days.  Only gaining 80 grams would be unusual ... unless she is only going to have one kit, especially if it is a small one.  So that is still possible.

How old is she and what does she weigh? Is this her first litter?

How old is he and how much does he weigh?

:-\ Something is upsetting her ... it could be a noise or even an odor.  Any thing newcomming in or going out or on in the house?  It would be best if you could figure out what it is and change it ... being upset and pregnant is not good for humans, but for chinchillas it can really be bad.

::think:: You haven't gotten one of those things you plug into the wall that is suppose to keep rodents or pests away, have you?  They will drive a chin insane.

::think:: If you have a dog, or if a neighbor has a dog, and you, or them are using a dog whistle, that will bug a chin ... they, as do dogs, hear and smell much better than humans.

Keep us posted and let us know how things progress or not.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmrothermel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »

Yes, he seems to behaving himself Jo Ann, he's kinda looking at her like whoa crazy what's up with you?  ::think::

I figured if she got pregnant the first day, then yes she could be close.  I was figuring another week for being 111 days, but if she can go as early as 103 (which I hadn't realized) well then it could be any day now.

She is 1.5 years old, average weight of 700g and yes this is her first litter.  He is 1yr old, 640g.

I dont have anything new in the house.  I dont have a dog, and none of my close neighbors do either.  Not to say that someone down the block doesn't but not immediately surrounding us.  And I don't have one of those things that you plug into the wall to keep pests away either, I never figured out how they could even work LOL.

I changed the bedding, and she seems to be rearranging it again, but seems to have settled a little.  She's not doing it like she has obsessive compulsive disorder like earlier.

Thanks for your help Jo Ann, and I will keep you all updated if anything changes or continues :)

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »

Gee Jacqui,
If only they could talk ;D
I have seen a scattered female get like that, and sometimes I never figure out what or why.
I do remember a couple being very iffy over have kits for the first time.
One I remember was so funny. Holding her and feeling the kits kick, well she would stand right up in my hands and look me straight in the eyes, like OMG what is going on with me.
Funny when the kits came she knew just what to do.
So maybe just feeling life in them is confusing/startling to her.
She could be close as Jo Ann said. I've had them born at 104 days, and 120. rofl
Some I've seen pull all the hay out and spread it all over the cage floor, and sit on it and wait.
They could do that for a fews days before the birth, then give birth in the box. ::think:: Go figure.

Yes if only they could talk :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:00:59 AM »

::silly::I agree with Debbie ... I've had a couple of "first-time-moms" go nuts the first few times they feel the kit/kits moving ... I remember how I felt when I was pregnant and the first time I felt my baby move inside of me. 

Is this your first litter?

Her age and size sound good ... so do his.  Is her weight (700 grams) before she got pregnant or what it is now?

Can you feel her teats?  They are almost un-noticeable normally, especially the first litter, but when it gets close to time to deliver, they become pink and elongated.

Have you felt any kits moving when you hold her?  Do NOT poke or probe ... that can kill a kit
If you put one hand in your lap, palms up, and sit her on top of it ...
your fingers closest to her tail ...
give her a treat that takes a long time to eat, talk to her, scratch her, anything that will keep her still (except forcing her to sit still) ...
it may take a while ... up to 20 minutes often times ... before you feel the kit/kits move. 
If you do this on a daily basis, the first time you feel a kit move, it should be about 2 weeks before it is born.   
IF there is only one kit, maybe less than two weeks ...
if there is 3 or more kits, maybe up to 3 weeks before delivery.

Most will also increase the amount of food intake during the last two weeks.

Water intake will increase by 50% or more during the last 24 to 36 hours before delivering.

Laying on her side or constantly moving trying to get comfortable is a sign she is closer, also.  (But, I have some males that sleep on their sides and they are definitely not pregnant.   rofl  )

Do you know the different signs once she starts in labor?

Keep us posted!

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmrothermel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:58:43 PM »

Jo Ann, nope we've had litters here before, but this is the first time I've seen this behaviour. 

Her weight is before she got pregnant, right now she is lingering around 790.

I have not been able to feel her teats or even her belly for that matter, because she has been irritable towards me lately.  She will kak at me when I get too close.  So rather then stress her out, I've just been leaving her alone.

She has started lying on her side, which is unusual for her, so along with the wieght gain and moody-ness that is how I came to the assumption she was definately pregnant.  I too have a male that will sleep no other way on his side, and I sure hope he's not pregnant!  LOL  :2funny:

I do know the different signs once she starts labor, however I have not been privledged enough thus far to actually see a birth.  Most of my moms deliver in the middle of the night or the wee morning and I just walk in and find kits.

Debbie - that is too funny about the female and feeling the kits move.  I can only imagine seeing it in person, just the mental picture I drew up is too cute!

Maybe thats what it could have been as well, since she seems to have settled down a bit today.  If she just started feeling them for the first time yesterday, she could have been freaking out about what was going on.

I will keep you all posted, maybe even with a post under the new births soon!

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own
Pages: [1]   Go Up