Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: male standards for breeding  (Read 4399 times)

yayamag

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
male standards for breeding
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »

I am looking into potentially breeding my chinchilla. But before I do I want a lot of information. I have already received a lot of understanding but the one thing I have never seemed to get answered is what are the standards for the males. I know about the size and age requirements for the females...but are there any for the male? i know the male should not be significantly bigger than the female, but should he be a certain size or age before?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: male standards for breeding
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »

::silly::Very good question!

And yes, the poor male chinchilla does get left out of the equation way to many times. 
(Could it be because he takes care of business once or twice a year, then twiddles his thumbs the rest of the year?)  rofl

The male chinchilla has the ability to do his part in reproducing at the tender age of 10 weeks.   :o   
This is why it is imperative to remove him from the mother and sisters before he is 10 weeks old.

BUT ...

I think males should not be put into breeding until he is at least 9 months old. This is also, according to a major breeder I know.  I do not put my own into breeding until they are at least a year old. 

The mating "ritual" can often be rather harsh on the male and he should be mature enough to take care of himself.  I would never put a seasoned female with a first time male ... he just might get the worst end of it.   ::scaredspeachless::

As a general rule, the male is usually the same size or smaller than the female.  The main reason I think this is true, is that it is the female that has to deliver the kits.  If you mate a small female with a large male, the kits could be to large for her to deliver, if they take their size from the father.

This opinion, as well as most others, is not shared by all ... same as: 

I will not put a female into breeding that is under 600 grams or under a year old. 
Some will tell you it is OK if they are 500 grams and at least 6 months old ... I disagree. 
But, that's my opinion and experience with my breeding chins.   ;)

I prefer to play on the side of caution and care with my little ones. 

Why take chances you do not have to take with your chin's life at stake?   ::shrug::

Hope this helps!

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:53:41 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:17:32 AM »

Are you going to be pair breeding or ranch run breeding? 

We do ranch run breeding and typically have our males as mutations and our standards as females, but you could do it either way.  In ranch run breeding you will have one male breeding to 3-12 females.  Since one male will have so much impact (having so many offspring) a breeder will usually place the most money in getting the best males possible.  We save back only the absolute best males and buy only the top quality males. 

Also, in ranch run breeding it is cheaper to have the males the mutations since mutations cost more than standards.  For example you can buy one expensive white mosaic and but him with 6 cheaper standard girls and get 50% white mosaics from them all.  To buy one standard male and 6 white mosaic girls would cost a lot more!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »

I was going to agree with JoAnn, The male is usually smaller than the female. You dont want him bigger because this runs the risk of the female giving birth to larger babies that she cannot physically deliver.  Even when not breeding, the males are usually smaller than the females anyway.  A lot of my males are smaller, if not the same size as the females.
~Jen~
Pages: [1]   Go Up