Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla losing hair  (Read 15152 times)

cashew

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla losing hair
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

I got a Chinchilla about two weeks ago.  I didn't notice his bald spot until after we got home.  He has hair missing just above his nose on his right side.  It looks like its getting larger.  I've never seen him pull on it.  Why would he be loosing hair?  Is he pulling it out?  How & why?  Will it grow back?

They told me he was a few months old but he looks full grown to me.  Is there a way to tell how old?  What color is he considered (if the photo showed up)?

I've tried to attach photos.  

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:05:57 PM by cashew »

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: New Chinchilla losing hair
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »

There are a few things it could be and I'm no expert so i would wait for one of the more experience members to post their views.
It could be the stress of moving to your house.
It could also be a fungal infection. This can cause the fur to fall out but the skin underneath usually is red and sore. How does his skin look?

How tame is he?
Like I said, I'm not an expert at all just trying to help. :)

cashew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »

It doesn't look red or sore.  Kind of looks dry.  He's fairly tame.  As much as a chinchilla can be I guess.  He'll come out when I go to the cage, he'll hop on me when I have him out, he'll stay in my lap for a  minute before exploring.  Doesn't bite.  Seems friendly.

trying to attach another photo

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:05:24 PM by cashew »

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »

Seems very friendly, especially for a new chin. :)
Another thing it could be is if you hand was slightly damp and maybe it rubbed against the fur pulling it out, but you sait it was getting bigger. Does it seem to be causing him any discomfort?

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:14:53 PM »

And some other things I forgot.
He looks like a standard grey.
The ideal age to buy a chinchilla is four months so he shouldn't be any younger than that. If you got him from a litter it is possible another chinchilla groomed him too much an pulled the fur out.
My Cheech was eight months old when we got him and he's taken a little longer to tame.
I wish you all the best with him and he look gorgeous. If you're worried try and find a good exotic vet (you should do this anyway, for emergencies) and take him to get a check up. Better safe than sorry.

cashew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »

I picked him because he seemed the tamest in the group.  He's not barking as much when I reach in his hut.  I've spent a lot of time with him so maybe he got tamer quicker.  

Just concerned about that bald patch.  He doesn't seem nervous that he would pull his hair out.  He's very curious and likes to explore.  Doesn't want to be held long but isn't that true for all Chins?  He's out of his cage running around in a safe room for about an hour a day.  Is that enough exercise?  Would vitamins help?

I wondered about the other Chins pulling on his hair.  But I think its getting bigger.  I suppose I just need to keep watching it.

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »

The bark is a warning sound as I found out (Cheech barks in his sleep and I got really worried). So he is a little scared, but he will get used to you as he learns you're not going to hurt him, which he seems to be doing. Try just putting your hands into his cage palm up and letting him come to you and explore your hands rather than picking him up from his house (if you do that - I don't know :))
The curiosty is a good thing. And about the amount of exercise, it might be better to wait for someone else to post their views because I've only had a chin for about 6 months so I'm not really an expert.
Cheech comes out for about half an hour after which he gets tired and goes back to his cage on his own for a lie down. Too much exercise can tire out a chin because they are used to life in a cage and can be bad so an hour seems fine to me but like I said, hopefully one of the more experienced members will post because they know more than me. :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »

It sounds like he has fungus if it is getting bigger and the skin is dry.  Go to the store and buy some Desenex Athlete's Food powder.  It will be in a yellow container.  Add one heaping tablespoon to a cup of chinchilla dust.  Dust him in that every day for a week.  Hopefully by them you should notice new fur coming in.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »

PS.  He looks pretty much full grown if those are adult hands holding him.  I would guess 6 months or older.  There is no real way to tell for sure.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »

Because the athletes foot powder is not suitable for ingestion, would it be wise to let him use the bath outside of his cage, because if he rolls around in it and the medicated dust falls on his toys or food in his cage and he eats it could that cause problems?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 07:01:59 PM »

No it will be fine.  We use a light dusting of it with every dust bath we give each week as a preventative.  We have been doing it for years with no ill effects.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »

I just wondered because I had been told that by someone, so thank you for clarifying.  :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »

I use athletes foot powder all the time, and have for years now. I haven't seen a problem, and never heard before that it could be.That doesn't mean it couldn't, we are always learning, and some chins are more sensitive than others.
Most of us will tell you if we find a problem with something we will discontinue, and what some have no problems with others might.
Maybe the one who said that believes it caused some problems for them.
I think your pretty safe using it and it does look like what I've seen around as fungus.
As this is pretty much the same as athletes feet the powder should cure it. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up