Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Medical Mysteries  (Read 12556 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Medical Mysteries
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:46:40 PM »

YOU be the doctor.  This is a real case that we are currently dealing with.  We have seen 2 vets and have a pretty firm diagnoses now.
Now, lets see how good you all are!

Our 3 year old, beige, female chinchilla "Magoo" had a problem back in September.  She had some vaginal discharge, clear to white in color, no blood.  Her vaginal opening was opened up and that general area especially around the rear end was a little swollen. 
We took her to the vet and had her examined. After swabbing her and finding a bit of bacteria in her vaginal area (which seems to me would be normal?) and doing x-rays he put her on antibiotics to clear up what could be a possible mild vaginal or uterine infection.  The x-rays looked perfectly normal and so did her uterus.
Several weeks go by, she has been off antibiotics.   Things look a little better definitely not any worse.
I am told this may just be normal for her and to just keep an eye on it.  I did very closely for 4 months.

Now recently and very suddenly it looks like the area around her female region & rear end is getting bigger, a little pinker and bulging out.  There is still a remote bit of discharge.   She is still opened up a tiny bit.
When I pick her up I can feel a big soft mass of tissue about 3-4 cm. bulging from her rear end area. 
My husband & I take her to the vet right away.  The vet examines her thoroughly from head to toe, teeth and all.  We agree for him to shave that lower area to do an ultrasound.  He does.
Before we share what the ultrasound shows,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Let's here what you all think.  YOU BE THE DOCTOR!!!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:45:49 AM »

I haven't got a clue.  :)
To hazard a guess I would say either it's a pregnancy or piles...

I hope she's okay.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »

A cyst or a tumor? By your wording it sounds like shocking news so I am going to guess they are testicles and she is a hermaphrodite.  :o

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »

::think:: hmmm ya got me stumped. I guess I would have to ask if she has ever been pregnant before.  Retained pregnancy? 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:10:41 AM »

::think::I think I would almost have to agree with Jamie ... a hermaphrodite. 

Just from what you said, I would not think it would be a blockage ... that would be hard, not soft ... and has been going on for to long for that.

Cancer tumors are also hard, not soft ... I think that would be eliminated since it is a soft mass.

Possibility of an undeveloped twin?  That one is a little far out, put possible.

A kit developing in the wrong area?

::hah:: Have you been giving it hormones trying for a sex change?     ::)

OK, enough guesses for me ... I'll probably end up looking like a fool for these guesses.   rofl

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »

a hermaphrodite

That's funny, it was the first thing that came to my mind after a pregnancy.
And yes your choice of words would lead me to think it was something totally off the wall.
Other than that an abscess or infection.
So come on don't leave us wondering. :D
I can't take it right now :2funny:
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »

::clapp:: Thank you all for your replies , input and guesses.  They were all very good!  ;)

::silly:: OK.........drum roll...............  ::silly::

Magoo IS a hermaphrodite, yes she has testicles!!!    ??? I would not have guessed this is what the diagnoses would be in a million years.
But the vet took my baby girl back to do the ultrasound and came back with a smile on his face!  "She is going to be just fine he said, Magoo has testicles".  She is a he? He is a she?  The vet snickered and said we can call her "Mr. Magoo" now!
Yes, my little girl with a vagina on the outside has testicles AND a uterus on the inside. 
For those of you who are not familiar with the word hermaphrodite, the definition is as follows:
An animal with the characteristics of both sexes having normally both sexual organs.

For now we don't have to do anything at all.  We do however have to keep a close eye on her/him and if anything changes at all take her back to the vet.  We are hoping that Magoo will not need neutered.  But if a complication arrises and it is a matter of life and death then we have no other choice.  For now all is well. 
The vaginal discharge and opening are related to the wacky hormones this little one is experiencing.
The sudden increase in the size of her bulge were the testicles enlarging.

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »

;)  This is Magoo

Click on her picture below to enlarge it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:47:12 PM by Joyce »

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »

MY GOODNESS!  That's the first time I've heard of a hermaphroditic diagnosis in a chinchilla!   ???

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:03:54 PM »

Yes, for a chin it seems to be quite rare!   We have talked to several vets and chin intellegent people.  None of our vets have ever seen this condition in a chinchilla.  We called Lani from the vet's office, she has only ever seen it twice!
  ::) But if there's a chin out there that is going to be a hermaphrodite it'll be in MY HERD!!!!!!!!!  We also have another big rarity here, a polydactyl chinchilla with extra finger digits!   ::kiss99:: They look so adorable!
It's OK, we love them all no matter what the situation is!   ::bouncyball:: These 2 are all the more unique.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:53:59 AM »

::silly::We do run into some strange/unique things with our chins, but I think yours tops it so far!!! ::nod::

You have Mr. & Mrs. Magoo all in one!     

::think:: Any little Magoos possible?   :D   Don't think that's possible, but I had to make the comment.   :blush2:

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:50 AM »

Wow!!!  I hope you will write an article on it!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »

Any little Magoos possible?      Don't think that's possible, but I had to make the comment.

??? Jo Ann, Jo Ann, Jo Ann......What are you thinking!!!!!  :doh:  No babies here anytime soon.  After Mia's ordeal we decided to stick to our decision of having a NO BREEDING HOME!   ;D So, no little Magoos coming our way!  She is able to have babies however.  Magoo has a uterus and the female apparatus to become pregnant and bear kits.  But I would not breed her or her twin sister because of their medical history, remember they are both hypoglycemic and have seizures.  So they stay downstairs with us so we can all keep a close eye on them and give them their sugar fix throughout the day. 
Now Magoo has testicles and the vet said they are filled with sperm.  But, Magoo has no external apparatus to impregnate herself or her sister (and cagemate)  ::scaredspeachless::  Whew!

Actually, when the vet did the ultrasound he said that the ovaries could not be seen because there is too much gas in the large intestines.  So there is a remote possibility Magoo does not have any ovaries.  Chances are she does but we will never know unless we put her through uneccessary testing.  If she does not have ovaries then obviously she could not have kits.

:) Jamie, I'd love to do an article.  Question is when is there time?  ::shrug::

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »

Do you know the genetic history on these girls?  Is it possible that there is some inbreeding in the lines?  I know that hermaphrodism isn't necessarily a result, but...

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 11:12:07 PM »

::shrug::  Unfortunately we have no history on these girls.  I rescued them about 3 years ago as little ones, they were actually a couple of my very first chins in our herd (my 5th and 6th to be exact)!   ::kiss99::  Now, 5 years later we now have "32" of the little darlings. 
I guess anything is possible because we don't know a bit about the girls history.  It is a genetic deffect but does not have to be from inbreeding.  It can occur spontaniously.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up