Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rapid Weight loss :(  (Read 10514 times)

Lauren_201

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Rapid Weight loss :(
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 07:10:14 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann and Debbie... I really appreciate your kind words. Chloe's next vet appointment is on Monday. They are going to gas her and poke around in her mouth, and then take an x-ray. One of the members on another forum thought maybe it might be the food itself. I've been feeding her Mazuri, and as all of you know Mazuri changed it's formula a bit... and the other member said he has a similiar experience with one of his chins... he changed the food and she's 100% fine. I am hoping that maybe that is what it is. I will keep everyone updated on my situation. Thanks for listenting to me vent...
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »

Hi Lauren,

I've been reading the thread all the while in pain myself.  Our chin Rocki has not eaten food in 23 days.  So far we have been the vet 5 times and she has yet to regain her desire to eat.  She had tooth points ground down as well as a wayward tooth trimed off. (She also developed an infection on her gum which hasn't healed yet)  It has failed to help her. So far 3 different antibiotics and 2 pain meds have failed to inspire her.  We have been force feeding her for 20 days with critical care and she has maintained her weight.  She weighed 607 on 10/7 and was 530 when the vet trips started.  She is currently at 481. She refuses to drink and eat still and she rarely ventures out of her cage.  She "curses" at me whenever I go near her because she thinks I am going to catch her to feed her.  My wife and I are basically on watch.  We go back to the vet on Wednesday and may be forced to Euthanize her. This was something the vet has always had on the list and we refuse to put her through a surgery that may not help.  Needless pain is not an answer and he can not guarantee success.  It really stinks.  She is 5+ years old and our oldest of 3 chin. She is also a rescue from a pet store so you know her history is poor.

I will be thinking of you and good luck with your chin Lauren!

P.S.
My advice to chin owners is to love your chins with all your heart and do everything you can but if it doesn't work you have to be less selfish and think of their well-being.

Paul   :'(

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »

Hi Paul,
I am so sorry you are having to face that choice.  Unfortunately many chinchillas are born with genetic malocclusion.  Sometimes you can slow down the process with filings but its an endless battle and almost always ends in having to put them down.  At least you know that your chinchilla has had a wonderful life full of love and you have done everything for her that you can.  Was she a pet store chinchilla?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »

Hi Paul,
I am so sorry about your little chinchilla! :( That is horrible.

Update on Chloe:
I took Chloe in to the vet today and had the x-rays done. They also did blood work. Her teeth are completly fine, she has no spurs what-so-ever. I am so thankfull. Her blood work was pretty good except the enzymes in her liver were slightly elevated. I am going to try and do a food change at this point and see if a new food will lively her up some. She still refuses to eat more than a few pellets. As soon as the new food comes in I am going to try and wean her off the hand feedings and see how it goes. She has always been a picky girl.

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 10:48:07 PM »

So happy to hear the good news lauren - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Unfortunately we did take our Rocki from a pet store.  It is sad knowing what we all know about the quality of chins from pet stores.  She just didn't need to be there and we have been lucky enough to have her for a little over 4 1/2 years. I guess it is just a hollow feeling to realize that the fight is not working and you have to do something drastic.  We go back to the vet on Wednesday - MAYBE we can get lucky but it isn't even close as of this point.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!  I'll keep you all posted on her outcome.

Paul

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »

::silly::Hi Lauren,
Great news about the teeth!   Now for a calmer atmospher ... chins are very sensative to what is going on around them.  Just keep loving her and try the new food.  Did the vet tell you what might be the cause of the "enzymes in her liver were slightly elevated"?  Are her poops and all still normal size, moist, firm and a normal amount of them?

:) Hi Paul,
    Have you tried yogurt with Rocki?  With the meds, the antibiotics kill all bacteria, even the good ones that process the food in the digestive tract.  Yogurt (live culture) can be given 3 hours after or before the antibiotics to replinish the good bacteria and help to digest the food properly and get rid of the wastes.  Asphilodopilus can also be used to do the same thing.  If he is not pooping normally, then his tummy feels full and he is not hungry ... keeping his system going is very important. 
   Is he dehydrated?  Dehydration can cause a huge weight loss ... he's already lost 20% of his weight. 
   If he is pooping properly, and not eating because of the pain, it is not good to let him continue in pain that can not be remidied ... the infection can also be a reason for not eating ... if you've ever had a tooth abcess ... it ruins the taste of food.  If you have tried everything and nothing works, you don't have much of a choice left.  It's not easy, but it is the kindest for him.  We'll be thinking of you.

::wave::
  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »

Hi Lauren,
I'm so happy it's not her teeth. But what is making her sick?

Paul I know exactly how it feels. I treated 2 with malocclusion, one for 6 years, both are gone now.

For feeding sick chins I swear by the yogurt and mush made from it, homemade pediolite from the joy of chins/ ca chins, and cranberry juice.
I've mixed them all around by mixing mush{everything from ground pellets, alfalfa, oatmeal & cridical care} with the pediolite and or yogurt.
The trick is to get them eating pellets and hay as soon as possible.
Good luck to you both, my heart goes out to ye.
Debbie.nl.ca

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »

Oh whoops! I'm sorry! They think that it was an impaction that caused her to stop eating in the very first place which started to cause the liver to shut down. When I took the quick action I took and started hand feeding her it kick started her liver and the enzymes are probably just starting to level out. She said they were on the higher side of normal. They aren't sure why she's still not eating on her own, but the vet thinks it may be because of Mazuri's formula change back in Dec. I am getting Oxbow on Thursday and start to do a food change. She has always been a very picky chin so I am hoping that with the food change, and the move we will be doing into a quiet more calm atmosphere she will improve. I am supposed to continue with the hand feedings until I can get the Oxbow then slowly wean her off the hand feedings. If she doesn't get better she has to go back for more blood work. I am going to be adding a little milk thistle to her critical care mixture for helping her liver go back to normal.

Paul I am so sorry about your little baby. I hope your vet will be able to help him soon. I will thinking of you for sure. :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:06:41 AM by Lauren_201 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up