Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gene Question....  (Read 2984 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Gene Question....
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:37:07 AM »

Ok, question, and sorry to sound stupid here, but this one is puzzling me....so lets say I take two ebonies and breed them together, and one is a violet carrier and one is not.  My kits now have a 50% (give or take a few percent) chance of being a violet carrier.  But, how would you know that?  I guess thats one of those things you wouldn't you would just say "He's a medium ebony possible violet carrier?"  And then the second question, when does that violet carrier gene come into play and become dominant instead of recessive?  I'm assuming by simple genetics it would be when you have two violet carriers together, am I right?

And is it correct that a sapphire and a sapphire can only produce a sapphire, there is no chance of a standard gray at all?  And there is no lethal factor (from what I read correct me if I'm wrong)  How does that one work?

If anyone just has an article on it maybe I could read it and learn more, rather than sitting here and writing it all out lol.

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Gene Question....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »

::silly::Hi Jacqui,

....so lets say I take two ebonies and breed them together, and one is a violet carrier and one is not.  My kits now have a 50% (give or take a few percent) chance of being a violet carrier.  But, how would you know that?
    You would know by getting an expensive DNA test done on it ... OR ... when paired with a pure violet, it produces what looks like a pure violet or violet wrap.
     When you pair this "possible violet carrier" with a violet, they will produce only violet carriers no matter how long you breed them, if the ebony is not a violet carrier  ... BUT ... if they happen to have a violet or a violet wrap kit, then you know the "possible violet carrier" is actually an ebony/violet carrier.  The proof is in the finished product.  Personally, I would not breed an ebony and an ebony/violet carrier, for that reason ... you don't know for sure.  I would much prefer breeding what I know is an ebony/violet carrier with a violet ... as long as both are built good, have good fur and are a descent size.
      Any time you breed violet carriers to violet carriers, there is still no guarantee they will produce a violet or a violet wrap ... But, it is possible.
     I recently purchased the most beautiful violet wrap I have ever seen.   And in 4 generations there was no pure violet and only about 1/2 known violet carriers, 25% not thought to have any violet, and 25% unknown. 
     I had 3 brothers, all standard/VC ... when paired with violets, one brother gave me 1/2 and 1/2 violets and standard/vc ... the other two had 3 litters each before producing a violet, then violets were all they produce for a while.   So nothing is a given.
     When you are working with carriers ... the odds are ... take a guess, because the odds start all over with each litter!
     The sapphires, I know nothing about ... maybe someone out there can answer that one for you.  :blush2:

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:58:27 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Gene Question....
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »

And is it correct that a sapphire and a sapphire can only produce a sapphire, there is no chance of a standard gray at all?  And there is no lethal factor (from what I read correct me if I'm wrong)  How does that one work?

When you put two violets or two sapphires together, they will each pass a violet or sapphire gene to their offspring, resulting in only violets and sapphires being born.  There is no chance of getting a standard and there is no lethal factor.  The lethal factor will result if a chinchilla gets two genes (one from either parent) that is incompatible.  For example, two white genes or two Black Velvet genes are not compatible, hence the lethal factor with putting two whites or two BVs together.  Some genes can be found in pairs and do not present a problem.  For example, two beige genes or two ebony genes, which is generally referred to as being homozygous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up