Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When your female chins get pregnant....  (Read 4428 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
When your female chins get pregnant....
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:01 PM »

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions today, but this one has been on my mind all day!  For those of you who breed chinchillas, I know its kinda rare to find a mating plug in the cage, a few people said they have actually seen it but many never have.  So my question is this, if you don't find the mating plug, do you just one day feel the kits in her belly or just walk in to a morning surprise?  I thought it was important to count down her gestational days to make sure that she doesn't go overdue, and make sure you stop the dust baths etc etc.  And if she went into labor at say 10pm and you didn't even know she was due, and didn't get to her until 7am, she could have some serious complications in that time.  So.....what do you guys do when you don't know if they've even mated or not?

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: When your female chins get pregnant....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 08:21:43 AM »

Well, first I weigh all of my chins weekly.  Weight gain is a good indicator of pregnancy, and loss may signal illness, so it's a good idea to keep tabs on it anyway.  But most females also show definite signs prior to delivery.  Besides weight gain you can tell how far along they are by the length of their nipples, which are located in a straight line on their belly beginning in their "armpits".  By the end of pregnancy the nipples will usually be as long as the fur, and many times the fur will actually fall away from the area.  Most females will begin sleeping A LOT and sleeping on their sides.  Generally once I see a female sleeping on her side a lot I move her to a maternity cage and then begin checking her every few hours or so.  I always separate my pairs during the last stages of pregnancy and for a few days after delivery to prevent breedbacks.  I also stop dust baths at this time as well. 
Most females will also consume a MASSIVE amount of water just prior to delivery, so it's a good idea to keep tabs on the water level too.  I guess the point is, there are a lot of ways they let us know what is going on, without having to witness the mating or to find the plug.  Partially, I think, it is also a matter of experience.  It's easier for someone who has seen it a lot to recognize the signs than for a newbie.  I know I hover over my females constantly near the end of a pregnancy, and overanalyze every little thing sometimes.  Drives my husband (and probably the poor chin) crazy!  But I can feel myself relaxing and becoming more comfortable with every birth, so I am thinking that time and experience are the keys.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »

::silly::Hi Jacqui,
     That's what the forum is all about ... answering questions and helping ... anything that makes things better for chinchillas and makes a more informed/better breeder.   ::nod::   
     If you have just a few chinchillas it is best to weigh them weekly ... weight gain or loss can be an early sign for many things, good and bad.  The more you learn when you have a small number of chins, the better/easier it will make it for you and your chins as they multiply in numbers.    ::)  Keep a wall calender handy and/or a notebook.
     With 180+ chinchillas, I do not have the time to weigh each one weekly, but there are other ways to keep up with what is going on ... the main thing is to learn the different signs for different things that might be going on.
     Now to be a little more confusing ... not all chinchillas do what the others do, in the same situation ... this is where learning each chin and what they normally do, pays off for you and the chin.   Anything out-of-the-ordinary is usually a sign  "something" is going on.  It is up to you to figure that out ... making notes on a card on their cage it will keep information at your fingertips with each chin
      When a chin is going to have only one kit, sometimes you don't notice the size change in the mom and get a pleasant surprise.  This is when you have a large number of chins ... as a rule, with a small number of chins, this should never/rarely happen.
       Most chin moms will 'show' when they are pregnant, just like a human.  They do increase in size (around the tummy) as they get closer to delivery.   Their tummies will become harder and harder, feeling like a balloon filling with water - very tight and firm, not soft like when they are not pregnant.  DO NOT poke around and try to feel any kits, this could kill them.   :-[
     If you will get a treat that take a while to eat (papaya or rose hips or several pellets of food) place your hand in your lap ... palm up ... set the female in your lap on top of your hand ... be pacient, as you feed her and talk to her ... it may take up to 20 minutes ... the first time you feel a kit move (if you do this daily), it will usually be about two weeks from the first time you feel the kit/kits move that she will deliver ... unless she is having 3 or more kits, then it might be 3 weeks till delivery.
      In the last week or two, you should notice that the teats will become longer and pinker, her appatite  will increase.  Her mood may change ... some get mellow while others get tempermental.   Her mate, if she has a good one, will tend to groom her more.   The last 24 to 48 hours she will usually increase her water intake by 50% or more. Chinchillas are very clean animals, she will usually start cleaning herself more ...  almost constantly there at the last.
      When labor begins, she may flatten out on the bottom of the cage and you may see a little panting, if you watch closely, you may even see when the contractions start.  She will usually start moving around and doing what looks like streaching exercises.   
      Most deliveries will go smoothly naturally, but on rare occasions they do not, and you or a vet may have to help.
      *Should she lay on her side, once you know labor has started, call the vet and get her to the vet a.s.a.p.  This is usually a sign things are not going as they should.  You may have to help her if you can not get her to the vet fast enough. 

::wave::
Jo Ann

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:15:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »

While I generally have a really good idea that a chinchilla is pregnant, I don't always have a good indication on when the delivery date will be.  Sometimes I'm very good at guessing and other times I haven't a clue until I walk in and find babies.  If I'm pretty sure that delivery will be within the next few weeks, I try to make sure that I start giving raspberry leaves and some increased calcium.
Pages: [1]   Go Up