Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First chin just a few questions  (Read 3534 times)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
First chin just a few questions
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »

Hi everyone thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

My husbands little sister purchased this male chin from petco about 4 months ago then decided he was too much trouble . I have always wanted one so I said I would take the little guy. He is pretty tame when he was brought over her boyfriend took him out of the carrier and sat him on his shoulder while we got his cage set up for him .

I let him calm down yesterday for most of the day then last night started working with him slowly by letting him smell me and explore my hand and sniffed noses with him through the bars . I have a gentle border collie mix that immediately took to the little critter and i have observed them over the last few days sniffing noses together through the bars . I really dont think smokey(my dog) will ever hurt him but im always careful.

today my little chico chalupa (thats the chinchillas name ) starts perking up when i go in the room and stands up and gets playful when i come in and bounces around and goes to the door of his cage . so i open it and he comes half way out and sniffs my hand and nibbles at my rings and fingers real gently (love nibbles) but he doesnt just come out onto my arm and im a little skiddish about picking him up just yet .

i am getting so attached to him already and im just wanting to know right now if there are any signs that i need to look for to tell me its ok to pick him up yet . i have read about all the warning signs of dont pick me up but are there any for picking up . the closest we have gotten is he will come out and sit in both my hands for a few seconds then hops back in the cage .

any help will be appreciated.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: First chin just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:18 AM »

Try petting him in the cage.  If he is comfortable with your hands on him it is ok to pick him up.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:26:49 AM »

Sit with your knees to the cage, and wait until he comes out onto them.Using your hands and arms as guards.
He'll start by doing the same he's doing now, he come out and run right back in again.
He's testing you, so play his little game. Don't grab at him, just let him walk around your legs, and check out as much as he wants, keeping his cage right there so he can run right back in when he wants.
He'll soon realize your not going to grab him, and will keep investigating a little more each time.
As he gets comfy with this start touching him a little more each time. A scratch behind the ear, or under the chin, to a full stroke of his back.
One little scratch at a time. When he's not running back at your slightest move , you'll know he's learning to trust you.
Once he's used to the touching, start cradling your hands around his whole body and just holding him for a second.
The pick him up, give him a kiss and set him back down in your lap. If by this time he's not running right back to his cage, he's yours.
If you do it slow, and with out rushing him out, you'll be able to do what ever you want with him.
Sounds like he's under a year, so he's still just a teeny bopper and you know how teens are, a little on the wild side. ;D
It just has to be at his own pace, but this method works well for those of us who want to handle them lots.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:23:08 PM »

::silly::Very well put!

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »

thank you so much for your responses ... we will work on it some more tonight.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »

A tried and tested method.  :::grins::
But I have found if I do this in the same room that we let him out in he just tries to jump off my lap and make a run for it. The same with stroking him in his cage. He was fine with it when we had him downstairs because we used to move his cage through to the front room to let him out. But now he's upstairs and he gets let out in the same room that he stays in as soon as the cage is open he tries to escape.  :)
Now we are just trying to teach him that one door is for petting an the other is for going in and out of, but because he's a chin he just wants to do exactly as he's not supposed to.  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »

Well he's already had his freedom, and yes now knows what he wants, down. ;D
I start the above with kits, and never let one on the floor for a run until they trust me first.
I would get a smaller cage/carrier and put it up to his door when you open it.
He already knows about a run so use it. Don't let him on the floor until he comes out on your hands first.
I have one that will be finicky, so he doesn't always get out, his choice. He well knows now if he wants out it's through me, if he refuses to come out to me, I'll just clean his cage with him in there. Most times as soon as he sees I'm serious{ seeing the wet cloth coming in ;)} he'll jump on out, but there are evenings he chooses to stay put and just waits for his treat.
You might have to take a couple of steps back and start over with him.
We have to do that with some to go foreward.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up