Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loki didn't like company..what to do?  (Read 12009 times)

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Loki didn't like company..what to do?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 12:44:24 AM »

;)Lololol Deb I can hear her now grumbling and fussing at him sying "You did this to me!!!   :2funny:

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 07:50:32 AM »

::silly:: 
Pooka is the adult female and the mate to Gizmo, the adult male.

...   Not sure what we will do with Gizmo yet as I have read that he will help with the delivery by helping to keep them warm and with clean up.  He was great for that the last time. ...

::silly::  *Mom goes back into season as soon as she delivers ... mom and dad have to be separated for 10 days, or he will breed her again ... breed-backs are not good.*

Well, yesterday we tried to put Gizmo in with Pookah to see what she would do while they were out to play.  There was quite a bit of toe to toe standing and at one point Pook chased him and possiboy nipped.  Fur flew.  No injuries though thank goodness.  Poor Gizmo sat and pouted behing the commode.....poor guy's feelings must be hurt.  Guess we kept them seperated too loong.  Will maybe attempt again in a few days.

::silly::  *Pooka does not need to get upset or feel threatened ... she is to close to delivering.  He should be restricted until the kits are 10 days old ... then do the re-introducing slowly ... mom can have a play-break each day while daddy kit-sets (With CLOSE SUPERVISION), leaving his scent in the cage and on the kits for mom to smell and get use to again.  I would not put him in the cage with the kits until mom accepts him ... If she gets upset and they fight ... the kits could get trampled. *

... It could be the time apart, maybe she blames him for someting. They never foreget.
Minds of their own.

;) Lololol Deb I can hear her now grumbling and fussing at him sying "You did this to me!!!   :2funny:

:( We have a chin we call "the widow-maker" ... she is just fine with her mate, until the kits are delivered.  (She has a tendency to deliver early.)  As soon as the kits are delivered ... she kills him. 

She is a great mom and produces beautiful kits, so now, as soon as I know she is pregnant, I remove the male.  Everything is fine ... she weans her kits, then she will let the male come home, but not till the kits are weaned and in their own cage.  The only thing we can figure is that she is a very protective momma.

With all my chin families ... most of the moms will let the daddy back and he does help with the kits, but, if she becomes up-set when he is put back in the cage on day 10, I let him stay out, till the kits are gone.  A protective mom that feels her kits are threatened, will usually fight the male and sometimes kill him to protect her kits ... but, sometimes the kits are trampled to death during the fight.

Even when the male is gone, I usually keep a 3" or 4" "T" shaped or "Y" shaped piece of PVC pipe in the cage for the kits to hide and play in.  PVC pipe is the white pipe you see in the plumbing department.  It is a special type of plastic ... the only one safe for chinchillas.   They will chew on it, but it will only come off in a powder form, so it is not dangerous to a chin.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:57:11 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »

I was looking for a recent post that Jamie said Chins mate for life.
So what exactly does that mean?
Am I wrong.  :doh:
I've been wrong before  ;D
Some do believe it means you can't change their mates.
I know a male can have many, and will take any new mate.
So does it mean you can not get a female to take on a new mate?
Or is it what it says, they CAN mate for life, meaning keep breeding and breeding.........
Debbie.nl.ca

outlaw1306

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 02:59:06 AM »

I too have a tempermental Chin, his name is Sid. I've had him for two years and he's always adored me and vice versa. But, about 2 months ago I bought another young ebony, also male. I introduced them slowly, using all the tips I could find and after the first month they seemed fine together at playtime. But, now the progress seems to have gone backwards. They can't be in a cage together for more than 20 min. without Sid getting very fiesty and begging to be left alone. Also, when they're out running around together Sid will get very territorial after about an hour. He charges, he bites (very hard) and he growls at me. His behavior scared me at first because I had never seen him act that way. I now have both of them secluded from one another because Sid's behavior is so violent and unpredictable. What do I do? Do I start again from the beginning, try to re-introduce them? Or are some chins just incompatible?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up