Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home  (Read 2151 times)

RJB

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Home
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:49:23 PM »

Hey all whats crackin-
Alright right now I am using a cardboard home for ashes until her new cage comes tommorow  :::grins::  Anyways I have plans to make her a new house and my question is if I wanted to make it out of metal and make sure there are no sharp edges would that work ok.  Or would a home out of wood with only nails be better??  I just want to make her comfortable and have her own little place.  Also I cant wait tell the new cage gets her tommorow so she has some layers to climb on.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Home
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:05 AM »

::silly::If you make one of metal, it could not be out of aluminum ... they will chew and eat it.  Galvanized steel will rust.  And the metal will tend to lower the body temperature due to the fact metal absorbs heat.
     Plastic is a no-no, they will eat it also.
     Pine wood is the best, it must be seasoned and NOT TREATED.  They will chew and eat it, but it will take longer to distroy it than it did the cardboard box.   Please use screws, not nails ... they will chew and expose the screws or nails ... it is much easier to move/remove the screws, but not as easy on the nails.  Check out the hut here: http://www.luvnchins.com/LuvNChinsChinchillaBooklet.html    About 1/5 the way down it shows a hut and gives you a list of supplies you need.  ::nod::  Some people will drill holes and use dowels instead of screws or nails to secure the back and sides of the hut.   The hut shown is attached to the side of the cage to keep it from falling down levels of floors and injuring the chin.
      Keep some sand paper handy to smooth any rough edges.  Male extra ones!

::wave::
Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

RJB

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:06 AM »

::silly::If you make one of metal, it could not be out of aluminum ... they will chew and eat it.  Galvanized steel will rust.  And the metal will tend to lower the body temperature due to the fact metal absorbs heat.
     Plastic is a no-no, they will eat it also.
     Pine wood is the best, it must be seasoned and NOT TREATED.  They will chew and eat it, but it will take longer to distroy it than it did the cardboard box.   Please use screws, not nails ... they will chew and expose the screws or nails ... it is much easier to move/remove the screws, but not as easy on the nails.  Check out the hut here: http://www.luvnchins.com/LuvNChinsChinchillaBooklet.html    About 1/5 the way down it shows a hut and gives you a list of supplies you need.  ::nod::  Some people will drill holes and use dowels instead of screws or nails to secure the back and sides of the hut.   The hut shown is attached to the side of the cage to keep it from falling down levels of floors and injuring the chin.
      Keep some sand paper handy to smooth any rough edges.  Male extra ones!

::wave::
Jo Ann

Thank you JoAnn you are full of alot of helpful information.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:17 AM »

Jo Ann you are full of a lot of helpful information.
Isn't she though,  ::nod::
I agree a metal house is not the best.
They will like it on hot days, but may just think it's a pee pan.
Go with the pine, it gives them something to chew as well.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up