Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeding Schedule and Quantity  (Read 8185 times)

RJB

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Feeding Schedule and Quantity
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:06:04 PM »

Hello all I am new here I just picked up a chin a few days ago and it has been nothing but fun.  My question is do I need to give Ashes a specific amount of food and also at certain times during the day??  Any help would be great thanks.  Also is it ok to just leave food in the cage at all times??

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
Re: Feeding Schedule and Quantity
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »

There food, hay, and water need to be left in the cage at all times. All three of mine eat different amounts. I make sure to put enough in there to last them all day and night with a little extra. I feed them around the same time every night.

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

:) Yeah thats what I do.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:34:37 PM »

Chinchillas are hind-gut fermenters.  This means that they are continuously digesting food and excreting waste.  They need to have constant access to food to prevent problems with their GI tract.  I would recommend giving one handful of hay in the evening along with fresh pellets.  In the morning, check the pellet level and add more as necessary.  You may also need to give another handful of hay.  Check the food and water levels as often as necessary to help you determine the right amount of food for your chinchilla.  On average, chinchillas eat approximately 2 tablespoons of pellets each day and the amount of hay you need to give really depends on how much of it is wasted.   ;D

RJB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 07:22:29 PM »

Thank you for all the replies I also wanted to add some pictures here of Ashes the cage it is in right now is not its final cage I had to order another one cant wait tell that gets here.

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:42:29 PM »

Congrats! You have a beautiful chin!  If I were you I would get him into the new cage ASAP - I don't like the floor bottom because he could get his leg(s) caught and that would spell trouble!  (I am speaking from experience!)  I am sure his coat is awesome and a dust bath would make a huge difference!

Enjoy him and have fun!

Paul   ;)

RJB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:30 PM »

Congrats! You have a beautiful chin!  If I were you I would get him into the new cage ASAP - I don't like the floor bottom because he could get his leg(s) caught and that would spell trouble!  (I am speaking from experience!)  I am sure his coat is awesome and a dust bath would make a huge difference!

Enjoy him and have fun!

Paul   ;)
It is actually a female and yeah I do want to get it out of this cage into a the new one but UPS is only so fast.  Monday will be the day I do have most of covered in 12x12 marble tile I work at a tile store :).  Anyways thanks for the kind words.  I have given her 2 dust baths already.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 12:28:39 PM »

Congrats she is a beauty.
I clean and fill cages every night while the chins are out for their run.
When they get back in they get a treat.
I have some that will eat 2 table spoons of pellets and some will eat 4. I use a 2tbl scoop and if the dishes are empty the next night they get extra pellets, if their is some left over I cut them back a bit.
I give them loads of hay as they do like to play with it as well.
And if you think is fun now give it 6 months when she will trust you with her life, and start training you to do the things she wants you too. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 07:57:52 AM »

And if you think is fun now give it 6 months when she will trust you with her life, and start training you to do the things she wants you too. ;)
::silly::Debbie, how do you train them to wait till 6 months of age?  I think most of mine have me trained at 2 weeks!
There food, hay, and water need to be left in the cage at all times. All three of mine eat different amounts. I make sure to put enough in there to last them all day and night with a little extra. I feed them around the same time every night.
::silly::Yep, this is a must and notice the "I feed them around the same time every night."  Chins love being on a schedule ... they're not fond of change.

I do have most of covered in 12x12 marble tile I work at a tile store .

I use tile also (but not lucky enough to work is a store that sells it).  Tile is easy to clean and helps keep them cool in the summer, but I never put one in a pregnant female's cage if she is due soon.  It could absorb the body heat from the new kits.  Wood works wonders when you don't/can't use tile.

Hope you got (or will get) your new cage soon ... the holidays really slow things down.  The floor is dangerous (you already know) and wasteful ... I'm sure you've seen food and hay fall through the bottom into the pan.

Your chin is beautiful! What is her name and how old is she?

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »

I wanted to ask about schedule.

Obviously I try to keep a schedule for feeding and playtimes etc, but I was worried that if I do this too much then when there is inevitably something that comes up that interrupts the schedule will it cause more upset than having a looser schedule in the first place?

What I mean is that both I and my partner work irregular hours which means we're not always in at the same time every day and sometimes if we are we're too tired to keep an eye on a lively 11 month old chin running around like a furry little bullet.  :::grins:: So in order to let him have some playtime every day he often gets let out at different times. My thinking is that if he's used to playtime being different every day it would be better than him getting used to it at the same time and then there being a sudden change either of time or him not coming out at all.

What are your views on this?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 09:23:12 AM »

::silly::The old saying "Do as I say, not as I do." is going to come into play here ...  ???

As a breeder, I have to keep in mind that all people do not keep the same schedules ...
therefore, to lessen the stress on my little ones when they are adopted ... I vary my schedule.  :o 
    ::think:: 
    Chinchillas do not accept change easily ...
When they go to a new home, it is a big change ...
If they are use to a "somewhat schedule", they can adjust easier to their new home ...
and ...
appreciate it for the 'schedule' and 'no surprises here' that they are known to like.

Another type of "schedule" ...

Unless you use the same food as the breeder ...
Get enough feed from the breeder (two weeks supply) to feed the new chin his/her brand only, for the first week ... and ...
slowly change the little one over to the new brand 20% increases, every few days, at a time until it is completely changed over to the new food ...

There are enough "other" changes to stress a chinchilla in a new home ...

Friends and members out side the family, that do not live in the home, should not be allowed to visit/see the chin until it is use to it's new home, and trusts at least one or more family members.

This is why I do not allow my little ones to be adopted between the first week in December to after Christmas.  To much commotion going on for a new chin!

What to do instead?  ::shrug::

Suggest the best gift idea is ...
The cage and it's supplies w/a picture of the kit/chinchilla,
and/or "The Joy of Chinchillas" (found at: www.cachins.org )
and/or  "After Forty Years... Alice Kline Talks About Chinchillas"
 (found at:  http://www.chinworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CW08 )
and/or a gift certificate for a year's membership in the Chinchilla Club (if the breeder does not offer it).

::wave::
Jo Ann

Please do not send your chin into a chaotic holiday situation!
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »

I think he will get used to it, though it would be nice to set him up first then change.
But if he's used to it and he's his friendly old self, not worry. Some can handle it quiet well.
It's just not the general rule, and the more you have makes it a necessity. For us and them.
Let your chin be the judge, if he's not happy he'll let you know.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:16:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

We usually let him out when he's awake and we're in and we just open the door on his cage so he goes in and out as he pleases. I've been very impressed because he's been going back in all by himself and going to sleep when he's had enough.  :::grins::
And we just feed him when his food gets low so there's always pellets in his bowl. He seems happy but I'll deffinately keep in mind what you have said and keep my eyes open for any signs that he might be distressed.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »

We usually let him out when he's awake and we're in and we just open the door on his cage so he goes in and out as he pleases. I've been very impressed because he's been going back in all by himself and going to sleep when he's had enough.
That's the beauty of have just one or two.
I have one I keep up stairs that is the same way. After supper I open his cage and his does as he pleases until I go down to do the rest.
He cases the cat, chews on the fire place brick,runs all over our feet chewing on laces, but never touches a wire. Some are not that way, rather most are not.
I have even noticed he hardly drops a dropping when out.
Yes just keep on eye he'll let you know when things are not right, or upsetting. All you have to do is listen. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 05:25:04 PM »

Since our chin Rocki lost her mate her depression has been horrible.  We have only been successful in allowing her the freedom to roam and she has embraced it - she looks forward to it and is waiting when we wake up. She still does not eat a ton but then again she never did.  He trip to the vet after Dave died proved to be successful because she was very fit with good teeth.  He said he likes to do blood work in the 5th year so that will be next year.  Any idea what they could find?  Do we know what there counts are supposed to be?  I guess I need to look at the "Joy of Chins" (a Bible to me!)

:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up