Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help...  (Read 13207 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I need help...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 10:03:09 AM »

::silly::Yep, they're just like little children ...
A very good friend of mine has been raising chinchillas (refers to them as her 4-legged kids).  I told her when she got started, if she could learn their little tricks and how to train them, when she has her 2-legged kids later on, it will be a breeze.   rofl  You also learn how well they will train you ... just like the chinchillas do!    :D

Glad to hear you do use the dust bath dust.  ::nod:: With one of the popular dust bath houses you get a sample container of dust bath sand ... so many people think if it comes with it, that's what they should use.   :doh:

Jenova, please, don't ever take anything I say personal ... being on a forum ... new comers, even a year from now might read the reference to the "sand" bowl and him "getting behind the t.v. because he wants to be scratched" and think it's OK ... that's why you will see many of us (and I am the worst) ... bring it to everyone's attention, the cautions that need to be added with the statements.

:blush2: I've been caught more than a few times myself ... leaving out a word that changes the meaning completely!  Or having to re-state and/or elaborate, on a comment I've made when it was miss-understood.
We're all here to learn and to have fun!  :-[

::wave::
Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 10:18:24 AM »

Don't worry about it at all. Especially as I am a new owner I could have been doing something wrong so corrections are always appreciated. I am just happy to see people who care so much about animal welfare and I would never do anything intentionally to harm our little Cheech, but if I was I'd always be happy to be told off.  :)

Chins To Love

• Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »

A dust bath sitting out in the middle of the room is usually enough to lure my chins, but when they are really determined we usually just hang out and sooner or later they come sit on us and we can put them back in their cages. ::nod::
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »

I teach my chins words, like up, when it's time to get back. I use a timer so everyone gets their share of time out.
They soon learn that when the timer goes off, I'm going to chase them around the room hollering at them, may even shoo them with a broom, then give them a treat. :D

They do learn. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 12:52:19 PM »

'we usually just hang out and sooner or later they come sit on us and we can put them back in their cages. "

LOL aren't you lucky!  Mine would run around like little heathens until they dropped dead before settling down and allowing me to put them back!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 08:15:24 AM »

::silly::Hi!

A dust bath sitting out in the middle of the room is usually enough to lure my chins, but when they are really determined we usually just hang out and sooner or later they come sit on us and we can put them back in their cages. ::nod::

This works wonders when you have one of those little bath houses ... chins love their dust bath, almost as much as a treat!

The more time you spend with them and work with them, the more surprised you will be with what they will do for you!   ::nod::

::wave::
Jo Ann
[/i]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:17:08 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »

::)  What works for me treats,dust bath and I make a kissing sound and they come running  ::silly::

Liudute

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »

My chins also don't come to their cages , so I just wait until they get tired from running and start laying on their side , then I take them and put them into the cage  :) (sorry for the language, I'm just learning it  :))

mikasauntie

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »

Chasing our Mika was never a problem.  We could just touch her and that would gross her out so much she'd run into her cage and stand waiting in front of the dust bath.  If she could talk I"m sure she would also ask for some disinfectant, too.
KB

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »

my chins that i have raised are very good with following commands...it the new comers or adoptions that make me have to start all over again...haha....but when one gets it the others will....once they see another chin jumping back into their cage when the timer rings then they start to realize there is a reward for it...if I have to shoo them back into their cage they dont get a reward....its the bargain system...lol

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »

You can try adding a timer to his play time. As soon as it goes off catch him and put him back.
I find holding a longish tube in front of them works sometimes too. They seem to be to curious not to go in.
If all else fails yes trow throw the towel over them, put them back and give them a treat.
I use the work up as mine have to get up in their cages.
Some take a while to catch on while others can learn in a couple of weeks.
Routine is the key.
Have a look  Training chinchillas
Debbie.nl.ca

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »

Heh, when I got silver since first day she was super curious about everything. If I balled my hand up and put it in her cage she would slowly come over sniffing then try to stuck her nose into the fold between my fingers and hand. My father set up his computer room to be chinchilla friendly, it's wood floored and constantly kept clean so it is perfect. She goes nuts when we get her out running all over the place like a little grey streak and always gets into places she shouldn't be. I have found that a cat carrier is perfect for catching them as curiousity gets the best of them. Old carpet tunnels are great toys for them as they are long, non inked cardboard, and chinchilla's seem to feel safe in them. As said several times a dust bath can work but if things get desperate I have also taught mine that if I say this phrase "Where's silver?" she should come out to get one of her few treats for the day, Papaya is her favorite.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up