Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anxious chinchillas and traveling  (Read 887 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Anxious chinchillas and traveling
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »

Hi guys, I had one more question.  Normally, my little guy has been good with traveling (I have 2 houses I travel between ~6-8 times/year), but this past time he seemed very anxious and was trying to bite the wiring of the cage.  I was worried that he might chip a tooth because he was biting the wiring fairly hard.

I know that you are not supposed to travel with chinchillas, but Dex has been very good with it the past few years and has never had any issues.  The night before traveling, I perform a "fire drill," which basically means I'll put him in his carrier cage for 15 minutes so he can acclimate to the carrier cage and understand that traveling will happen tomorrow.  But I am unsure why he did not do as well this past time, for there wasn't a significant amount of time between traveling trips.  Thanks for the input.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Anxious chinchillas and traveling
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 04:07:35 PM »

Animals of any kind have their moods and hormone cycles and behavior patterns can change with age. Chinchillas normally don't travel gracefully although I've never heard of an chinchilla doing itself damage by biting the wiring on a travel cage so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up