Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla's long alarm call  (Read 699 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla's long alarm call
« on: February 02, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »

Hey guys, Dex has been doing his alarm call off and on for upward of 10-15 minutes now.  I've never had his alarm calls go this long before, so I wanted to make sure he's okay.

I am 100% positive this call is his alarm call, instead of an injury call or fear call.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla's long alarm call
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »

Chinchillas are mostly sensitive to ultra low frequency sounds, pressure that is felt more than heard. They are also sensitive to changes in environment. I think you mentioned you changed something in the cage a few days ago. It could take some time for your pet to adjust to that if it was a significant rearrangement. There could be construction in your area, or large vehicles like garbage trucks. Mine don't like trash day. You can run a fan in the room (do not blow it through the cage) to generate some white noise.

Also check that the water is dispensing properly and food is available. If that doesn't help I wouldn't be concerned about health unless you're seeing weight loss.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up