Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discolorations in chinchilla's right ear  (Read 872 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Discolorations in chinchilla's right ear
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knew what is happening to my little guy's right ear.  He has a couple of discolored bumps, and lives alone in the cage so it is not from a fight or anything of that nature.  I read up that severe changes in temperature can also cause this, but the temperature has been pretty consistent the last week or so.  I have pictures of his ear, but cannot upload them since the maximum file size is 600kb and each picture is 3.4 MB.

More info to make sure he's okay: this past week I got influenza and partially quarantined myself away from him (no interaction except for food/water/baths and washed hands thoroughly, but he was also in the same room with me so I would spray Lysol constantly to disinfect the area).  He seems healthy and full of energy, but I'm unsure where these marks on his right ear came from.  Thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Discolorations in chinchilla's right ear
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »

Feel free to email me with the pictures at admin@chinchillaclub.com and I'll see they get posted.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

Here are the photographs of Dex's right ear. The first two were taken 1-12 then the last one was taken two days later.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »

I strongly suspect there was a broken blood vessel in the ear. Chinchillas can be very rambunctious especially at night and constantly bouncing around in their cage. It could have slammed into something. If the spot gets smaller and continues to lighten up that would be my first guess.

I recommend looking for any corners or hard objects in your chinchilla's play areas that it could have collided with. Also look for any gaps or things that its ear could have been caught in. If the spot gets redder and spreads you may want to have it checked out. I recommend taking photographs once a week and comparing them. I'm pretty sure the ear was bruised.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:14:55 PM by GrayRodent »

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:32 AM »

Update: the spot on his ear has almost completely disappeared.  All that remains is a very faint small spot (not so much red but more so a faded black/gray).  Thank you for the advice I fixed some trouble-spots in his cage so hopefully it doesn't happen again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up