Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken Leg  (Read 1137 times)

Jonny G

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
Broken Leg
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »

My chinchilla now is 17, he is very fit even after he had 1 of his back legs amputated 2 years ago. but very sadly I've just found him dragging his other back leg along which means his more than likely broken his other back leg. I now fear the worsted that I will have to have him put to sleep as I've not heard of anyone with a chinchilla with only 2 front legs unless anyone can prove me wrong on here and give me some hope.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Leg
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »

How does your chinchilla manage to break his legs? I've seen this post on another forum previously. Have you had your chinchilla examined by a vet in the time between posting here and on the other forum?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

Jonny G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »

Yes I have. No one replied to other forum. I'm taking him down this week to be put down as ive had no info yet to help. His been out with me more than in his cage since. I don't know how he manages to break his legs. I made him a new cage 2 years ago so his got no big jumping climbing all mostly flat and his still done it again.
I got 2 more chins in another cage identical to the 1 he broke his leg in and they've been in there for 15 odd years

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 05:18:34 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I think you did the right thing. I suspect it is related to aging.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jonny G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »

Thx, that's what i though. Plus his 1 back leg has took all the strain for 2 years now, so i suppose that hasn't helped. He had a couple of extra good years. when i took him to the vets for his 1st broken leg the vets talked about putting him down, i couldn't believe it he could of had another 10 years in him. i said no  amputate his leg, paid alot to have it done and it was the 1st time they had done an operation like that on such a small animal.
So I'm glade for the extra couple of years. I'm having him cremated and his ashes put into a special photo frame with his picture in it.
He had a good life for the last 17 years considering his bad start, he was left in a box at a pet shop door when very young, i rescued him and gave him a great life, sad that it had to end this way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:57:15 AM by Jonny G »
Pages: [1]   Go Up