Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did my chinchilla...finish?  (Read 765 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Did my chinchilla...finish?
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »

Hey guys, long time no see.  My chinchilla, Dex, is an unneutered 5 year old male, so naturally he has some humping tendencies.  Usually after a while of me pushing him off, he'll lift his hind legs to pull out his tool, but tonight when he pulled it out his whole body was visibly shaking/vibrating a couple of times.  Then when it was out, I noticed it had a couple of lumps/spherical bulges in his shaft.  He then proceeded to clean it in his mouth, as he does, and then went to lay down.  I'm assuming that he "took care of himself," but I wanted to post this question in case this is something more serious that I need to get him checked for.

This is a weird question to ask about, but I appreciate any and all input.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Did my chinchilla...finish?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »

The shaft isn't completely smooth at the end. I wouldn't be concerned unless you see redness, observe urination outside of the cage or on shelving, or if your pet won't fully retract its penis after it is done. Shaking right before they extend it for cleaning is behavior I've observed in my healthy pets.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »

Yep, he's always had the ball-shape near the tip, but there was a noticeably large bump about 1/2 way up the shaft as well.  It disappeared shortly afterwards.

He seemed alright afterwards, but his ears turned pink (indicating he was hot), so I cooled down the room and he seemed okay after that.

I have read that while some will swallow it, other chinchillas can spray their semen which can get on their fur and severely damage a coat.  While this did not happen, would you have any tips on how to clean their fur in case it does down the road?

Thanks again,

Bill

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »

Like I said, don't be concerned unless it looks red, swollen, won't retract, or appears to be causing the animal trouble. An abnormality like a large visible tumor will probably have some serious symptoms.

My two chinchillas used to be really bad about going after each other before I permanently separated them. One time the mess was so bad on my white mosaic's back I pretty much gave it time, dust bathed about once a day for three days, and as it started growing out I was able to lift out the matted fur. He has a very cottony texture so it was a nightmare but fur grows constantly and if you can break up the mat with your fingers it will grow out. Since then I just make sure they stay separate or I can separate them quickly if they start going after each other. Haven't had that problem since.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up