Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training wheel nightmare  (Read 966 times)

Renier

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Training wheel nightmare
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »

Hi there.
I have a problem. In my country, Chinchillas are not very common and you have to actually do a bid searching to find one. Most pet shops do not have them. So you can imagine that the accessories list is almost negligible. I know the story of the wheel size, but the biggest wheel I can get is 30cm (kaytee). I know it is too small and I know it is plastic.

Very simply - what do I do?

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Training wheel nightmare
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »

Don't use one. They are really not necessary. Plastic should never be given to chinchillas in any form and the wheel size you quote is far too small. Providing a wheel that is too small can result in scoliosis, so please don't.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

Renier

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »

Thank you for the input. I took a chance and asked on our community Facebook group, and I found someone who can make one to spec, using only metal. I am waiting for price and pictures.
ps. My Chins would cry the whole night without their wheel. They really, really love to run.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »

They don't need a wheel but it can help with nighttime noise. Do not provide a wheel to a chinchilla that is not fully grown.

I recommend the chin spin from quality cages. I have two 15" inch chin spins and have been using them for years. You will have to replace the bearings about every 6 months with very active chinchillas and you can order those through the quality cages website. These wheels are made of metal but have a wooden center structure. The metal prevents it from getting chewed. They are expensive but they should easily last the life of your pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up