Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla doesn't use dust bath?  (Read 1741 times)

electovoid

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla doesn't use dust bath?
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »

Hey all! Im going to the vet next week for a checkup and will bring it up then too, but thought id see if anyone else has this issue.

I have two chinchillas, one 5, the other 6 - I got them over 6 months ago now, however the female seems to almost never take a dust bath when offered. She always seems to need one and I have to resort to (attempt) putting the dust on her and try dusting it in to her fur when it gets really bad.

Her fur on her forehead tends to get a small matting every once in a while and I assume its because of the lack of dusting she does.

The odd time she does jump into the dust bath (once a month if im lucky..) She rolls over to one side and wiggles rather than rolling in it and therefore doesnt do a very good job. (She will do this once, and then jump out). My male absolutely loves his dust bath and does it very well and has a very clean coat, so it cannot be that she doesn't know as she has lived with him for almost 5 years.

The previous owner told me she was just a bit silly and needs a bit of help, but im lost at what I can do. She isnt stressed and is overall healthy, as confirmed by my vet.

Anyone any ideas or ever had similar issues? What can I do to help her? She doesnt enjoy being held or pet very much so holding her and dusting her that way is best avoided.

Thanks!

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla doesn't use dust bath?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:41:51 AM »

Firstly, is there any particular reason why you are taking your chinchillas to the vet? Vet visits cause stress and are really not necessary unless there is a health issue. Have there been any behaviour changes regarding your female? It she eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. Do you house her with your male? Is your male neutered? The more information you give, the easier it may be to help.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

electovoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »

Im going to the vet as her poops are slightly pointy and have been for  quite a while, even when cutting pellets down and reducing treats (which are herbs and wheat) though she is pooping regularly and not in pain - also this dusting issue, I want to make sure theres not something underlying that I've missed, she has another matt starting on her forehead again and this issue has been around for months, her coat is just not getting cleaned and is clearly building up oil.

The bathing issue has been around since I got her so I cannot say there has been any changes. Recently, no there hasnt been. She is pooping, drinking, eating normally as far as Im aware. There is a chance she doesnt drink as much as she should as I dont personally see her drink as much as I do the other, but theres been no clear signs of dehydration.

She is housed with the male, has been for most of her life. Male is neutered.

The only thing otherwise Ive noticed is that she would not go on her back legs as much as my male, rarely resting on her hind legs and much prefering to be on 4's. It doesnt seem to be painful as she will go on her hind when exploring, after treats or when grabbing food from her bowl without any indication of pain. Though she mostly eat down on 4's using one front paw to sit and the other to hold the food, unlike my male who will sit on his hind legs and have both paws floating.

These are my first chinchillas, so Im unaware if this is normal behaviour and it is just her preference or not.

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »

Do your chins have access to good quality Hay at all times?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

electovoid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »

Yes of course

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »

I think it's normal behavior you're describing. No two chinchillas are the same. I have a chinchilla that stands up more than the other one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the feces being pointy, as long as it's not squishy or sticks to the cage. The opposite is they are small and scant. That usually occurs when there's a lot of hair in it from a shedding cycle. There is no need to cut back on pellets. A good pelleted diet is beneficial. Chinchillas drink most of their water at their most active times, which is usually late at night when most people are asleep. The best way to track water is pay attention to water levels.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

electovoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »

I cut back on the pellets as I thought they were having too much, but they have a nice balanced amount now. Glad the poops and behaviour are normal, the feces worried me slightly as everywhere i read was very set on what was normal (round oval) and anything else was a vet visit  :(

Water levels do go down and she isn't dehydrated so I'm sure she is drinking.

Since it seems clear there is no medical issue as to why she doesnt take dust baths, anyone have any experience with a similar issue? How is best to keep her clean? Right now she doesn't enjoy the process of myself attempting to dust her, I assume she may get use to it with time but any methods/tips would be helpful .

Flint

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:21 AM »

What type of bathing dust are you using? How often are your offering her bath? Does she have a bath to herself or does she share one? Do you leave the bath in all the time?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »

Try putting the dust in a large bowl. Leave it in the cage for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the cage.
Do this about twice a week. You can try to wait after sundown when chinchillas are more active.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up