Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: With pair breeding would you still buy new chins in?  (Read 8923 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: With pair breeding would you still buy new chins in?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 02:23:50 PM »

as most Ranchers breed for pelts, how would they know who was a carrier?

Even pelt ranchers are always trying to improve the herd and save their best offspring each year to put back into breeding. Those chinchillas will then breed for years so genetic problems would still be found. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »

::silly::It is up to all of us to stop breeding a chinchilla when we find there is a problem that might be passed down from generation to generation or one that might be contagious. 
     It does not matter if you get a chinchilla from a friend or from a rancher ... if there is a problem ... notify them!
     Different breeders ... small and large ... that I have talked to over the years ... want to know, so they can take the parents out of breeding.  No reputable breeder would knowingly breed a chinchilla that would pass problems down the line.
      As soon as a problem is found, it needs to be reported to the breeder. If that breeder does not take the chinchilla out of breeding ... then you know not to buy from them again. 
      Keep in mind one thing before you open your mouth ... did you keep chewblocks and lava stones in the cage at all times to help the chin keep it's teeth ground down to the proper length?  If not, it could be your fault.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »

Even pelt ranchers are always trying to improve the herd and save their best offspring each year to put back into breeding. Those chinchillas will then breed for years so genetic problems would still be found.

Thanks Jamie, that's the way I've been reading it, but as I have never been around any my info comes from what I read.
No reputable breeder
A reputation can seem great. :-\
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 06:04:32 PM »

as most Ranchers breed for pelts, how would they know who was a carrier?

::silly::Keep in mind that the "pelt ranchers" pelt when the chinchilla is 7 to 10 months old ... long before any malocclusion would become evident ... even if both parents or just one parent is a carrier ... they would not know, unless they kept that chin for breeding and did not pelt it.  When pelting was profitable, there was really no worry about the teeth ... it was the fur that had to be perfect, not the chinchilla.   Now, with pelting going down and chinchillas as pets is going up ... they will have to change their way/fame of mind about raising chinchillas.  No longer will it "not matter", as a pet that is expected to live 5 to 25 years, hereditary problems do matter now ... even to the big ranchers.  For them to stay in business and continue to have a good name, it will have to matter. 

We, as novice breeders, (less than 20 years) have to realize we can be making just as big a mess of the future for the chinchillas by to much interbreeding and cross breeding of the mutations.  This in itself will weaken the genes of the chinchilla and it's future.

We all live in glass houses.
         Off my soap box ...

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:06:27 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up