Chinchillas > Health

Paraplegic chinchilla

(1/2) > >>

gizmorover:
Has anyone had a paraplegic chinchilla? My chinchilla is currently experiencing paralysis in his back legs with the paralysis he had a prolapsed penis. We took him to the vet she put a stitch in his penis to help it retract, put him on pain meds and antibiotics. I am also feeding him Oxbow Critical Care to help him gain weight back. This happened about a week ago, we are not sure if he hurt himself in his cage or if it is old age since he is 14 years old. Since the injury he has not shown signs of stress besides decrease in eating. He will eat nuts, sunflower seeds and a little bit of hay on his own, but not his pellets, hence why I started him on OXbow. He is very hand friendly, as I hold him like a baby and loves human interaction. My first goal is to get him back to eating on his own, what I am wondering is if anyone has experienced having their chinchilla paralyzed and if you chose life over euthanization any tips for us in helping him with any obstacles he might have.

Flint:
Nuts and sunflower seeds should NOT be given to chinchillas due to the high fat content! Has your vet carried out x-rays to check for any fractures or broken bones. A prolapsed prnid is generally an indication of pain.

gizmorover:
My pet has already been seen by an exotic vet. He had no fractures in his xrays, she believes it is based on geriatrics, he is 14 years old. Yes I know sunflower seeds and peanuts are high in fat content, he has eaten them his entire life 2-3 a day and he is still underweight.

My question is does anyone have any tips on having a paraplegic chinchilla, his diet is being monitored by his vet.

Flint:
Excess fat in a chin's diet can have a detrimental effect on liver function, especially in an older chinchinlla!

gizmorover:
Again do you have any advice on living with a paraplegic chinchilla? My chinchilla has no fat on him, he is skin and bones right now. Again he is only eating about 20 ml of Oxbow Critical Care a day, and a few bites of hay...and 2-3 peanuts and maybe a sunflower seed. Refusing all other food. I am not asking about his diet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version