Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weaning early?  (Read 2780 times)

prettyinpunk77

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Weaning early?
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »

Do anybody have any tips on how to wean kits? I have 5 week old kits. One is 127 grams and the other is 202 grams as of today(April 8Th). The first one had a bit of a rough start, so I had to hand feed her until she was strong enough to keep her head up to drink from mom. Shes doing good now (gaining 2-5 grams a day) and I plan on keeping her with mom. The second kit is a boy and was healthy from the start. I have a extra cage read for him when hes ready to leave mom, but how do I know when hes ready? Like I know 7-8 weeks is when they usually wean, but I don't want to take him out before hes ready, but I also don't want him to get mom or his sister pregnant, because hes already starting to mount them.  I also feel like hes starting to stress out mom because he jumps on her a lot and sometimes chews her tail fur. Shes also slipped 2 small bits of fur from him trying to mount her and jumping on her. He mounts his sister to and jumps on her as well. She barks at him and he'll leave her alone. So any tips or advice and what to should wean him a bit earlier? They are both eating hay and pellets and I've seen them drinking water a few times.

Sorry for being all over the place. I'm just stressed out for mom and the other baby cause I know they are uncomfortable when hes all over them. and yes I know its probably normal for them to do this but mom is slipping fur and making noises at him and I've never heard of this happening before.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Weaning early?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »

Yeah you don't want to leave them in for more than 8 weeks, especially males. Just put him in another cage closeby and he might be calmer. Just pull him out. He can eat regular food now.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up