Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After teeth surgery, he refuses to eat  (Read 1227 times)

Sandra

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
After teeth surgery, he refuses to eat
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:35:49 AM »

Hi there,
My lovely boy - he is 10 years old, had a surgery 4 days ago. The vet removed 2 teeth, cause of mouth infection. Now we give him strong antibiotics + pro biotics. But he refuses to eat. We give him consistency of granules with a little bit of water - something like porridge ( sorry for my English, but this is the only word that I know for this meaning), but he spit it. I'm seriously in trouble, cause he is loosing weight. Also he doesn't have any strength.  :(
I'll be grateful if you give me any advice.
Thank you in advance!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: After teeth surgery, he refuses to eat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »

I really hate to say this but I think your best option is euthanasia. With teeth removed there will be problems with the alignment of the other teeth which can also cause pain and infection. I don't think you are going to be able to maintain your chinchilla's teeth long term.

If you wish to keep going you need a proper recovery diet such as Oxbow critical care. It must be syringe fed. You should obtain supplies and dosing instructions from your vet. Your chinchilla requires a very specialized diet right now. The pain from the tooth removal may be causing it to stop eating.

Antibiotics cause damage to the microbial life needed for digestion. Even with probiotics the best management is make sure the intestines have something to work on and ensure the intestines keep flowing.

I'm sorry you are faced with this kind of an issue. I pray it all works out well for you.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Sandra

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Re: After teeth surgery, he refuses to eat
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Thank you very much. We feed him 3 times per day, but in our country there is no Oxbow critical care. I'll order from the net, and hope to fast delivery. He is so brave, I hope that in a few days everything is going to be better.
Thank you one more time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up