Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad eye and running in circles.  (Read 1574 times)

Nibbler

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 2 male + 5 female = 7
    • View Profile
Bad eye and running in circles.
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »

I have my last batch of rescues 14 sad old chins. This is a rough batch it will not be easy to place them almost all of them have problems or are elderly.

So the one I want to talk about today is a old male. I was told he got into a fight years ago and his eye was damaged. Yeah his eye looks dead. This same Chin will run in a fast circle stop and looks dizzy. He is old 10 or 15 years old would be my guess but all that info is lost.

He eats and gets around but I wonder if this running thing is caused by something more.

here is his eye.
20171011_170724 by Sarah  Ireland, on Flickr

His poor fur.
20171011_170659 by Sarah  Ireland, on Flickr

He has been good about taking a dust bath so that will help.
I am working on re-homing the rest of our late aunts breeding heard. 30 more to go re-home. I am keep 4.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bad eye and running in circles.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »

If he is running in circles I'm not sure if that is a sign of a problem. My healthy chins do that too. If his head is tilted to one side or another or he appears to have issues with balance that could be a sign of damage to the inner ear or brain. Give this one a really good quarantine.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Nibbler

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 2 male + 5 female = 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

Could be brain damage. He is almost fully blind. I found a lady that was willing to work with this chin. So he was adopted out.  She has cared for elderly humans and will do her best with this guy.

On to the next problem. Fungus...... I have this male that has fur loss around both his eyes. Everything I have read says fungus. Him and his friend are in another room far away from my healthy chins. I am going to try the fungal powder in the dust bath and see how that goes.

I am working on re-homing the rest of our late aunts breeding heard. 30 more to go re-home. I am keep 4.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »

If it starts advancing to the genital area you should consult a vet and get some stronger medication to prevent complications. Fungus usually gets worse before it gets better but will usually resolve with a medicated dust bath and sometimes on its own in 2-3 weeks. And it can be contagious. I recommend dusting this one in a separate room from the others as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up