Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing foot rescue.  (Read 2026 times)

Nibbler

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 2 male + 5 female = 7
    • View Profile
Missing foot rescue.
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

So I got another batch of rescues. After I rehome these I will have only 14 left to find homes for. So far this has been very rewarding I have been able to place some chins in some very loving homes. It has also been heart breaking too.

out of my first batch I had to put down 2 Chins due to very bad Malocclusion. Now I have one beige that is thin and I not looking the best. On top of that I have a skinny one with a missing foot. One Chin I left but should have taken has a really really bad eye it is cloudy and big.

With this new one that is missing a foot I would like to fatten him up is I can. I am not sure if I should try and save him but I feel like I should. I am keeping the sad beige one to see if he will get better with more care. He takes dust bathes now.
I am working on re-homing the rest of our late aunts breeding heard. 30 more to go re-home. I am keep 4.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Missing foot rescue.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »

Chins can do very well with a missing foot and tolerate surgical foot amputations well. I wouldn't give up on it unless there's signs of internal or dental problems. See if it gains weight on a proper diet. Eye infections are somewhat common in chins. Some infections can cause some pretty nasty symptoms but usually they respond well to meds. Eye infections can in some cases be caused by malo. If that is the case an xray will easily diagnose that.
I'm praying you'll have a good turnout with the skinny one.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:43 PM »

I am happy to report the one with the missing foot is eating Timothy hey. I don't know if he was getting any hey. I am not sure he can even reach the food the way the cage was set up. I am going to get him some alfalfa Seeing him eat gives me hope. Thanks.

He I can get him in good healthy I might have to keep him.
I am working on re-homing the rest of our late aunts breeding heard. 30 more to go re-home. I am keep 4.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »

meet Tripod. I put a little bowl of food low for him and he is doing well. He gets around well. He is looking better and seems to be more active already. I am looking for cages for him. He is up for adoption but I think I might end up keeping him.

Here is Tripod. Look at his left leg you will see he is missing a foot. He loves to sit like this with his 2 front paws on the wood and resting on his end. I made him this little wooden hut. He can even hop on it.

20170924_183304 by Sarah  Ireland, on Flickr

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »

I recommend using a parrot dish that will mount to the side of the cage. They have a ring and stainless steel cup. Put it where he can reach it easily. These are awesome chin feeders. Pellets are going to bring his weight up better than hay. Both should be kept available. Supplementing with critical care (not syringe fed but off a spoon if he'll take it) might help as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »

This little guy did really well starting eating and drink perfectly. He went off to a new home. BUT with this last batch of forsters I am keeping a elderly female that is missing a foot. She does not get around as well as Tripod did but she is really really old 16 or older is my guess.

She eats well and enjoyed exploring outside her cage. She did get tiered quickly seeing that she is an old lady. She is loving her new life. She will stay with me till her last days.

We call her Mima since she was part of the breeding herd and old it is safe to say she is a great great great great grandma to many chins.
mima by Sarah  Ireland, on Flickr

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »

So glad to hear that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up