Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playpen choice for my little guy  (Read 1158 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Playpen choice for my little guy
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:07:25 PM »

Hello fellow Chinnie-lovers,

I was looking into getting my chinchilla a playpen to contain his roaming space around my apartment.  I have been looking at a few options and have stumbled upon these two (links below).

https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufacturing-Canvas-8-Panel-Playpen/dp/B000OX8AG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1503362806&sr=1-1&keywords=chinchilla+play+pen

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Animal-Pet-Playpen-Exercise/dp/B0002DHXEQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1503362806&sr=1-2&keywords=chinchilla+play+pen

My main requirements are:
1) It prevents my little guy from jumping out of it (he is almost 3 years old -- fully grown and can jump quite high)
2) It gives him the largest amount of roaming space without breaking the bank
3) It obviously a small enough spacing between bars to prevent him from squeezing through (though not too small where he might get caught and scared)

The 1st link seems to be the better option, though the reviews mention this is a wobbly cage.  I will be inside of the cage with him, so this is not a huge issue, though I would like to give my little guy a larger roaming area if possible.  If you could provide links to your top suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Bill

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Playpen choice for my little guy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »

A lot of people use these kinds of playpens. Just be aware to never leave your pet unsupervised and consider the possibility that a chinchilla can jump over it if it's determined enough. A chinchilla can jump 5-6 feet. Having playtime and out of cage exercise time is nice to watch but be very careful of overheating. I recommend 15 minutes or less per session.

Although I have not used these it appears the Ware is the better of the two, since it's 29" inches tall vs 15" tall. So the Midwest pen I think is going to be inadequate. Also there is a review there from a chinchilla owner who seems to be happy with it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up