Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla has lose of fur around his nose  (Read 1073 times)

EdwardAlphonse

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla has lose of fur around his nose
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:21 AM »

Hello, I have 2 12 week old baby boys, one has started losing his hair on the side of his nose and it did look saw 2 nights ago but looks a bit better now but only scabby. I have been to the place I brought them from yesterday and the lady seems to think it's ringworm/fungel infection so she gave me spray to use. I have used it 3 times since yesterday lunch time as said.

I was hoping someone could be able to help as I have another chinchilla and a dog. Is it catchable that easily?

I have since after finding out cleaned and disinfected the whole cage, toys, etc washed everything I can think of, stripped my whole room the best I can and sprayed the carpet even.

Please help

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla has lose of fur around his nose
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »

I don't think using a spray is a good idea. But you can put a couple of tablespoons of powder such as Desenex into to a couple of cups of bath dust and dust bath every day for a week or so. (Don't make a habit of dusting every day though). If there is no improvement after 10 days call your vet. If you have another chin I'd give it the same treatment.

It can be contagious and transmittable to other animals and people as well. There are different strains and some can be worse than others. Do not spray the carpet with the chins in the same room. They have highly sensitive respiratory systems. Cleaners such as Febreeze are known to be lethal to chinchillas. You can put them back in after they are done spraying and there is no aerosol from spraying in the air.

Fungal infections may get worse before they get better. If it goes beyond the ears, base of the tail, and the nose, or is affecting the genitals consult your vet.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:17:50 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up