Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time outside of cage?  (Read 897 times)

blackxlily

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Time outside of cage?
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »

Hi everyone, I want to let my chinchilla out more but he chews on books and other paper objects when he is outside of his cage. He is also very hard to catch and he doesn't seem to care if I hold treats out for him. What is the best way to let my chinchilla out for some exercise everyday? Do any of you take your chinchilla outside of the house to play?

GhostStang17

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: Four
    • View Profile
Re: Time outside of cage?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »

I'd say never take them outside, depending where your located it would be too hot as it is, over 75 degrees Fahrenheit is bad they like temps around 60-70. They will chew on things, that's a given, best advice would to make a room designated for play where there is no wires, plastic, certain woods are bad as well. Paper is ok, mine are bad for not wanting to be picked up or come to me when I put them back. So I have learned to keep a smaller cage in the play room and have them enter that to take them to the real cage(house). Do not chase them either that's not good for them. How long have you had your chinchilla? Have you spent time with him in the play room? I read that's one way to gain trust to be able to pick them up. 

Hope this helps.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Time outside of cage?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »

The best way to let them out is to chinchilla-proof a room. It's easy to do that in a bathroom. Another thing is to train your chinchilla to stay where you are. I do this by sitting on a chair and holding him and letting him crawl on me. Do expect your pet will get away from you. You just have to go after him. But before all of this I strongly recommend interacting with your pet through and in the cage and gaining a bond with him. Do not take your chinchilla outside to play this is very dangerous and predators such as hawks or dogs are a severe threat. And if you lose your chin and can't get him back he probably won't survive. Outdoor temp is also a high concern.
Chinchillas do not need to be exercised regularly out of their cage they are not like dogs.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up