Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to introduce a new chinchilla  (Read 820 times)

alaskapoppy

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
How to introduce a new chinchilla
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:36 AM »

Hi guys!

My question for you today is: how do I introduce a 3-month old male chinchilla to my two female chinchilla's who are both over a year old? I have already put them next to each other in a neutral environment and everything seems to be okay. The only thing is that one of my female chinchilla's chases the male chinchilla around.

The breeder where I got my male chinchilla from told me to put a smal cage into the bigger cage and place the new chinchilla in the smaller cage so they can get used to each others smells, is this an okay way to introduce them? How long should the new chinchilla stay in the smaller cage?

Thank you

GhostStang17

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: Four
    • View Profile
Re: How to introduce a new chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »

I have read this is a way to introduce them they say over night but keep an eye on them. One way I have found that works, is a very long car ride, where they are in separate but close small cages, my rescued chins supposedly hated one another and a well bonded from the road trip home. I wish you luck with the bonding.

alaskapoppy

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:12 AM »

I replied to your post, I have had them in the hamster cages for two days now and everything seems okay. They are sleeping together now and when having play time my female does not chase him around anymore. I am still keeping an eye out to check but so far everything seems to be fine! You should try this method aswel with your chinchillas!

GhostStang17

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »

That's good to hear, I got to find me a small cage that will be suitable for this. So far the two pairs have. Onproblems as long as the others don't come near them. It's a long process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up