Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: !HELP! Female Chinchilla Vaginal Discharge  (Read 1569 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
!HELP! Female Chinchilla Vaginal Discharge
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »

I come home today to my 3 chinchillas and all seemed well until later on the mother of the other 2 was eating her feces which I know isn't abnormal until I saw a couple pellets stuck to her nose and that freaked me out as it was so I tried to pick her up and she wasn't having it and she ran to the bottom corner of the cage and for the first time in the nearly 2 years I have owned her she sprayed me which caused me to back off and leave her alone. That was until I looked where she standing before I tried to grab her and there was a wet kinda white spot on the shelf which then set me off into protect mode and I needed to see what was going on so I picked her up to much of her discord and cleaned off her nose and then started to inspect her and I found that she had something white sticking out from her vaginal area from which point I placed her back down and from then she is very inactive still hasn't gotten off the cage floor or for that matter really moved. I am super freaked out and don't know what to do. Should I separate her from the other 2. I need your help if you need pictures of it I can get some. I'm really worried about her and there isn't a vet that I know of around me that can handle her this late, the closest one it nearly an hour and a half away. Also the goop that was on her nose was kinda sticky almost like halfway dried Elmer's glue. Please give me any help you can.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: !HELP! Female Chinchilla Vaginal Discharge
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »

Update she has moved and the white thing has disappeared for now but i'm still worried about the discharge
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »

I'm sorry you're going through that. If there is still discharge you might have an infection. I wish I could offer more advice but the best thing you can do is get it examined by a vet and probably get a culture done on it. If it's an infection it probably needs antibiotics. Infections there can be quite dangerous. If the infection is in the uterus itself it is life threatening and you should consider treatment carefully.
If it's just a one time thing I wouldn't be extremely concerned but the amount you're talking about does seem excessive.
Removing her from the others is a judgment call. I'm not aware of it being contagious but if her health deteriorates you want to separate quickly though because the risk of contracting something infectious is greatly increased and can threaten the others. Weigh your chins regularly.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »

I might be too late on this but if there is white discharge from your female then take to her to a vet immediately.

It might not be anything...BUT....there is a chance it could be pyrometra or a vaginal infection. I went through this with a female I have and it ended up being pyrometra. She ended up needed surgery after a reoccurring issue. If it is pyrometra and caught early then baytril should sort it out but it WILL come back. Whether it's a year or two years later. Unfortunately, getting a female spayed is the only way to permanently fix the situation if it is pyrometra.
Pages: [1]   Go Up