Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to young ones, few questions/ any tips?  (Read 978 times)

Miss_Dux

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
New to young ones, few questions/ any tips?
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »

I've had a chinchilla before, but I got him somewhere in the 1-2 year old region, as his first owners were in waaaay over their heads, and not very helpful with specifics. So I have some chinchilla experience and I'm pretty confident for the most part (I had him 9 years before he sadly passed away) but I'm getting a 3-month-old from a breeder (in about 2 weeks) and have been doing lots of research into juveniles and have a couple of questions. (The more I learn the madder I get at the start my poor Gizmo got- but here's not the place for that rant :flames:) ok so-

1) I've got a smaller cage coming for Torin, but it's solid bottomed and my old one had a pull out tray at the bottom with not exactly mesh, but holes in for waste (I've kept it for when he's bigger), especially until he's somewhat house trained and has picked his corner or what not, how do you stop him becoming dirty? Like I get the wood chips/ fleece whatever you use is absorbent... but surely he's still paddling through it? Do you just keep checking it and swap it out constantly or am I overestimating how wet/ unhygienic it gets?

2) I get the no play time thing until he's bigger, but at what point does handling become playtime? can he come out and wander across my knee if/ when he's that comfortable with me? or is it strictly cage bound contact to start?

3) Playtime seems to be pretty universally ok'd at 6 months, (yes?) but bigger cages and higher perches and things (like wheels) are mentioned anywhere from 6-12 months, is this owner preference or vary chin to chin. Is there a check? like when they can handle X they're ready for Y? or do they basically let you know when they've outgrown their surroundings?

4) Someone, I think on this site, had said about rocks in the bottom of the cage to vary textures underfoot, is there any Do's and Don'ts with this other than the obvious sturdiness (cant fall/tip) and cleanliness?

5) Oh, as a catch-all- is there anything you wish you'd known before you got little ones?

I'm probably overthinking it, and I'll no doubt have more questions at some point, but any wisdom is appreciated.
Thanks All

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New to young ones, few questions/ any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »

I recommend using cages with a wire bottom and install wood shelving in the cage. Typically your chinchilla will rest on the wood and urinate through the wire floor. As long as your chin cannot access the floor below it you can line it with an absorbent pad.

Otherwise if you have a solid bottomed cage use kiln-dried white pine or aspen chips for bedding and change it about once a week to 10 days for one chinchilla and it should be fine.

Starting out cage bound is fine. Chinchillas don't require a lot of activities outside of the cage. I have trained both my chinchillas to play on a chair while I'm sitting down. If they jump onto the floor I immediately pick them up. I used to let them run around in my bathroom but I don't see a lot of sense in that. Both of them have exercise wheels and plenty of shelving to play on in their cage. Wheels are something I recommend for chinchillas older than 6 months. My pets are very active and healthy and have been for years.

Basically I think a chinchilla that is over 6 months old is safer from over-exertion for activities. Your big thing to keep in check is the air temperature. It should be below 68 degrees F if at all possible.

I don't think rocks are necessary but I do have marble "chin chillers" and a big marble slab that have smooth surfaces. They like to rest on these at times but they both prefer wood shelving. Of course be careful a chinchilla cannot get pinched or crushed by any items in the cage. As long as your chinchilla isn't in contact with urine or visible mold you should be fine.

One thing I wish I had known was that a full size shop vac is the only thing capable of cleaning up loose hay. Get the one with the 2 inch hose and your life will be a lot easier. Also I can get chinchilla pellets in bulk from Tractor Supply, or even order (25 lb bags of mazuri chinchilla pellets) for a fraction of the price you get them from a pet store. I prefer chilldust over blue cloud. It puts less dust in the air. It is online order only and still costs less than most pet stores.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up