Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla doesn't want to play outside of his cage  (Read 1173 times)

Dex21

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla doesn't want to play outside of his cage
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »

Hey guys, over the past few weeks I have noticed my chinnie hasn't had any interest in running around outside of his cage.  I have a playpen that he is allowed to stay in the confines of, and have not changed any of his daily routine.  He is showing signs of lethargy in his cage, though still gives me a warm greeting when I pet him. 

He was at the vet about a month ago and I was informed he is perfectly healthy, he is 4 years old and about 500 grams.  No weight change, diet change, etc.  Thank you for your advice!

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla doesn't want to play outside of his cage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:18:27 AM »

What was your chin at the vet's for? Changes is behaviour/demeanour are always a cause for concern. Is your chin eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally? Have you noticed any changes in feeding habits? Has the temperature changed dramatically?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

Dex21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »

He was at the vet for a routine check-up.  He seems to be eating normally but I would note that he is drinking slightly less than he has in the past.  He is peeing fairly normally but I have not seen as much poop around his cage.  I'll weigh him tonight to see if he has lost any weight.

The temperature outside has dropped drastically, but I keep the room he is in at a constant temperature so he hasn't had any changes there.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »

Routine vet checks are really not necessary for chins as they cause stress. Chins only normally go to the vet if an issue is suspected. Try leaving him in his cage without playtime for a week or so, with plenty of toys and safe chews, and monitor him. Drinking can vary with season, as can pooing. It he eating hay normally?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

Dex21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »

Okay good to know, that was his 1st vet visit since I got him almost 4 years ago.  I can try leaving him in there but it has been almost 2 weeks since he has come out to play.  He has a ton of chew toys and lava ledges, and he seems to be eating his hay normally but I'll check when he wakes up tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up