Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Determining Colors?  (Read 1562 times)

Ophelia

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Help Determining Colors?
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »

I'm somewhat new to chinchillas, and I just have two pets but I would really love some help figuring out colors on them, as I'm thinking about turning into a breeder since I'm liking my fur-babies so much. I basically rescued Broichann and decided he needed a friend, so I contacted a local breeder to get him a friend/mate. The Breeder said that she was 'some weird chocolatey' color...However, she said that his mother was a Mosaic if that helps? I will have to post the picture of my 'weird chocolatey' female, Macie, in a comment bc of picture size restrictions, as it is my picture of Broichann is a bit...small and strange, lol.
Thanks in advance!  :::grins::

Ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Help Determining Colors?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »

Here is Macie.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »

Can you describe the colors on the belly as well as top?

Chris
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »

The dark one, Broichann is just a little lighter black on his belly, black on the top with a couple white toes on each paw and a white muzzle. When I blow on his coat or he's ruffled it's light gray near the hair base. He has white/light gray ears and black eyes.
Macie, is like a tannish color? She's something in between beige and tan with reddish eyes and pink ears/nose. Her hair base is lighter too. Her belly is a consistent color with her top too. In pictures I've been told she looks a bit lilac colored?
Thanks and sorry the pictures were so crappy, lol.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »

I think you have a mix of genes going on there. A reputable breeder is going to keep track of what they are and where they come from and will limit the combinations to generally accepted conventions. It looks like you have a bit of a muddy mess there so you're not going to know for sure.
Typically the darker belly and fur is going to be caused by the ebony gene. The brownish is probably caused by beige plus ebony. The standard color is grey with black on top and a white belly. I'm guessing your'e dealing with standard or violet, which is a dull grey color that doesn't express the dark veiling on the back. Violet tends cause gray ears as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »

Thank you for the help! I appreciate you taking the time to explain :).  I think I'll try to get ahold of the Breeder who I got Macie from to get her pedigree if she has one. When I got her I didn't even think about it because she didn't quite sound like she cared about it all too much...Broichann was from a Pet Owner who said it was an 'Accidental Breeding' but I'm not quite sure how that happened...he was in poor shape when I got him too  :'(. Nevertheless, I'm glad I kind of have an idea now, even if they're just messes I still love them to death, lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up