Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bath container?  (Read 2528 times)

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
Bath container?
« on: July 29, 2016, 07:57:31 PM »

Aloha!!

I've been looking to find something along the lines of this:

I've seen something very similar (different colors) used in several cage tours on YouTube, and found this picture "for sale" on a chinchilla website that doesn't appear to have been updated since like 2008!! 

I REALLY want something like this... The vase that appears to be stuck in the ground.  I know it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask here if any of you might know of a source??

Mahalo!
~ Tina

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bath container?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »

There are some shops that sell mostly pottery and large items like outdoor decorations, at least in the Continental US. I suspect such places would exist there.

Dust bath houses are not something you should keep in a chinchilla cage though. Chinchillas should be dusted for no more than 15 minutes at a time about once every other day.

The exception would be the bins large ranchers use but they have lids on them that can be opened and closed from outside of the cage to keep the chins out of them. I doubt you'll want one of those but that's a fast way to dust hundreds of chins at a time.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »

There are some shops that sell mostly pottery and large items like outdoor decorations, at least in the Continental US. I suspect such places would exist there.

Ya, I've been browsing all I can find.  Not sure exactly what to search for!

Dust bath houses are not something you should keep in a chinchilla cage though. Chinchillas should be dusted for no more than 15 minutes at a time about once every other day.

I was aware of that.  I just want something "cute" for taking pictures and videos!!

Mahalo,
~ Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »

I just did some googling and couldn't find much. Closest I got was a search for "tilt ceramic bowl".
I do have a feeling if you know someone going to school that does pottery if you tell them about your project you might could have one made for you.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

IkiKolohe

• View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »

I just did some googling and couldn't find much. Closest I got was a search for "tilt ceramic bowl".
I do have a feeling if you know someone going to school that does pottery if you tell them about your project you might could have one made for you.

Hey thanks!!!  Nice to know it isn't just me having a brain fart or something!!

Mahalo!
~ Tina

Mom to...

and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

prince_medion

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »

I use a superpet/kaytee bath house personally, I know it's plastic but they have their bath toward the end of playtime and always supervised. then they get their hay rack and pellet bowl refiled and they know its time to go back. They also got used to associate the word bath with it and the sound of us shaking it and get exited when hearing it and stand waiting for it every time now. but yes a ceramic container would be good as it would keep cool so would be great on a hot day. On that note I have heard of some people putting the sand in a ceramic container in the fridge for a little while to make it even cooler, but I have not tried that as my fridge is a bit small and always find it a bit humid so I imagine wouldn't be good for the sand.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:32:19 PM by prince_medion »

Yurusumaji

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

I know this thread is old, but this might be helpful to the OP or others looking for nicer bath containers.

I found something very similar to this design called "Talavera Leaning Planter". They are fairly expensive based on some cursory research, but they are very pretty and lean to the side.

Pages: [1]   Go Up