Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New chin owner I have a few questions  (Read 665 times)

spikenika77

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
New chin owner I have a few questions
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »

So I got him Saturday (re-homing) I didn't read about how I shouldn't let him out of the cage for awhile so he gets used to me and my small dog. So I've already let him out to explore just one room. He got back in his cage after a little while. So do I continue to let him out? Yesterday while he was out in jump in my lap as I was sitting on the floor with him. He checked out the dog who isn't to concerned with him. Since I have been reading so many post about this or that concerning chins, I'm curious what's good and bad. I want to get him a bigger cage? Do I wait if so for how long? What are good treats and bad? He currently has some dried apples slices that came with him. So when he went to his cage on his own I gave him a little piece. Overall he seems happy with the move.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New chin owner I have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »

Congrats on your new pet. My recommendation is to take is slow and easy for about two weeks and interact mostly inside of the cage. The reasoning behind this is to minimize stress until your chin is accommodated to you. Make sure your pet will come to you if you put your hand or arms into the cage. Also practice holding your chinchilla after a few more days in short sessions. If you have a tame chinchilla it shouldn't be a problem but most chins are going to take a little work. You are probably going to notice some behavioral changes over the week although every chinchilla is different.

I recommend forgoing all treats during this period. Let the digestive system return to normal and establish a routine. Apple slices are fine, just small raisin sized pieces, no more than two a day. I really don't use treats with my pets and give them attention instead and it is fine. My philosophy of chinchilla diet is less is more. A constant supply of clean water, loose hay and high quality pellets is all they really need. Avoid deluxe pelleted diets with mixtures of junk in them as they are devastating to chinchillas.

Dogs are not good for your pet. One wrong move and it's over. I have numerous sob stories I can tell including from my neighbor. I recommend you keep them separate but it is your judgment call with that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up