Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: URI and recovery  (Read 1508 times)

swimgirl1995

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
URI and recovery
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »

I am a new chin mom of a beautiful 8 month old boy named Vincent. I've only had him for about three months now, so I don't know everything about a URI in chinchillas. Two days ago I noticed that Vincent was sneezing and breathing out of his mouth so I immediately called a vet in my area that I knew was very knowledgeable on chinchillas. They confirmed that I needed to bring him in, so I did. Needless to say, the diagnosis was exactly what I thought it would be. A URI. They prescribed him bactrim twice a day for two weeks. Anyways, I began treatment immediately and things began to look up for Vincent the following night. I noticed that he was still pooping, and was eating and drinking some water as well. Now today his energy levels seem to be up close to what they were previous to his illness. He also is not sneezing as much, no longer has the discharge, and if finally breathing mostly through his nose. I guess I am just wondering if this is a good sign, or if I still need to be concerned. I am still monitoring his poop and food and water intake, and I have already completely sanitized everything in his cage. Any response would be greatly appreciated, as I still jump up every time he sneezes. I also want to note that I have done a large amount of research within the past few days. I just couldn't find much about recovery.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:18:19 PM by swimgirl1995 »

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: URI and recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »

You will want to give him probiotics to help repopulate the bowel. URI can take 1-3 weeks for the chin to go back to normal. Watching eating/pooping is a very important thing. You can also weigh him if you have any doubts.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »

You probably don't want to hear this but based on URI cases that I've seen on this board in the last four years recovery is possible but the risk of fatality is very high. Although in your case you are seeing improvement, which is a good sign it's not over until the symptoms are gone and the full course of antibiotics is complete. Your most important goal is to maintain digestion and nutrition which can be difficult because of the antibiotics. Most chins are okay but some can react very badly to them.

The meds are critical to fight the infection and must be given based on your vet's instructions carefully and without fail even if your chin improves. If digestion fails so does nutrition and your chances of recovery so monitor that closely. I wouldn't be worrying too much about sanitizing until the end of the course of antibiotics. Then sanitize like crazy. Weigh your chin and keep track. If you suspect there is a downturn call your vet. Have a recovery diet, supplies, and instructions for syringe feeding on hand just in case.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

swimgirl1995

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »

Thank you for the replies. As of right now, Vincent is eating normally as well as drinking and pooping. His energy level seems to be back to normal as well, which seems great. I am still keeping a close eye on him and following the vet's instructions carefully. There is still one week and two days until the antibiotic will be done and I realize that anything can happen in that amount of time. I will still try to obtain some critical care just in case. I am hoping that Vincent continues to improve, and am still keeping a very close eye on him for any possibility of him going downhill.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Sounds good. I think if you stay on top of it you'll do well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up