Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing three chins  (Read 1251 times)

CloAndTheChins

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Introducing three chins
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:49:32 AM »

Hi everyone

I'd like some advice on introducing three chins.

I have one at the moment. She is 14. Her sister passed away about 5 years ago so she has been on her own since then.

I've now got the opportunity to adopt two more (1 year and 3 years - both female). They are living together.

Do you think it will be harder to introduce them to my current chin because 2 of them already have a bond? The last thing I want to do is distress my chin... but she is so relaxed and friendly that I think she would enjoy the company of other chins.

Any views/advice would be great. I'm torn!

I have read up about introducing chinchillas and already have another cage so that's not a problem. My concern is that it will be difficult to introduce them when 2 already have a bond.

Thanks
Chloe

Toyger

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 3 boys, 2 pregnant girls (rescues)
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing three chins
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »

I had a similar senario. Bonded 2 and 3 year old boys and introduced a 6 year old boy.
It went really well and fast became friends and huddled together all three in a sleeping pile. After a few months the new one started attacking the old ones to such a degree I had to take him out. Now he can't even have play time without fighting :(
It's reached a point where I consider rehoming him cause he seemes distressed and anctious,  wanting to get in to their cage to fight.

It might go well with your girls, but it might be safest to only give them supervised playtime, as when it goes bad it goes BAD! I almost lost one of my boys to the fighting, they can kill eachother even months after bonding.

Mine is just one experience though, I'm sure there are others who have made it without a problem.
My babies:
5 Chinchillas
2 Cats
2 Gerbils
1 Mouse
All the love

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:54 PM »

It's possible some of the conflicts you see in the information you've been reading is because there really isn't a way you're going to know until you actually put them together. You can try all kinds of different methods to get that started but at the end of the day you're still left with that fact.

And if you put them together there is a risk of fighting, injury, and sometimes instantaneous death by one bite. It's not something that should be rushed. And certainly not something to be taken lightly.
I have two chins that I put together and had to separate because they were not compatible, thankfully no blood, but certainly fighting and hair pulling. They can play together supervised but not be left alone.

In my opinion having multiple chins to a cage does little to better the life of the chins. It's more for your benefit. And even if they are bonded fighting can still break out with little warning. So don't be afraid to keep them separate. Certainly if you bring home new chins you should keep them in separate rooms for a minimum of three weeks as a quarantine measure. Once they're proven to be infection free (some can be quite dangerous and manifest during the quarantine period) you should put them in the same room for a minimum of 10 days before you try an introduction.

Your pet will likely show signs of stress for about a week. Monitor fecal output and food intake carefully. If she goes off her food you may need to syringe feed for a couple of days. This kind of problem is extremely rare but I want you to be aware of it if you see it.  15 is up there in years for a chin. Having a younger cage mate can be an issue because she may be at a disadvantage if there is a fight.

That is my advice. I am very sorry for your loss. And congrats on seeing them through to such an old age. You're doing very well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

CloAndTheChins

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »

Thanks so much for your comments both, they're really helpful.

The more I read, the more I am leaning towards not having them. I've been mulling it over for a few weeks and as much as I would love them, my gut is telling me not too. I really don't want to put my current chin under any stress, especially given that she's an older chin! She's my priority.

I'm sure somebody else will give them a lovely home!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

Glad to be of help. Like I said keep an eye on your pet for at least a week. Losing a cagemate can be stressful. Enjoy your chinchilla and God bless.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up