Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla started acting weird  (Read 1191 times)

alaskapoppy

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
My chinchilla started acting weird
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »

Hi guys!

So I got my two chinchilla's last wednesday, I have a white mozaïek and a standard chinchilla. My white chinchilla really started opening up and started eating treats out of my hand en hopping on my legs, three days later she didn't come out of her cage, while my standard chinchilla did and she just stayed in her cage. The day after as well, and today she got out of her cage but she is acting really really scared while she wasn't acting like that in the beginning. What is happening to her?

Thanks..

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chinchilla started acting weird
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »

How long have you had your chinchillas?
Are there other pets in the house that have access to their room?
Is there any evidence they were fighting with each other?
Do they live together in the same cage or are they separate (with a divider or separate cage)?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

alaskapoppy

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

I've had them for a week and a half now and I bought them as a couple so they are together in the cage. There are no signs of fighting. I have a hamster which is in the same room but his cage is in the other side of the room.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »

That explains some things and I've heard of this happening before many times. I think it's part of the personality traits of certain chinchillas but not all.
Chinchillas tend to be highly stressed when they are relocated and it usually takes about two weeks for them to adjust. Until then they do not exhibit their normal personality.
When they are handled and allowed outside of the cage during this adjustment period it can greatly increase this stress and make them feel very insecure. They need to be approached gradually and not all at once. I suggest leaving her in her cage (except for the weekly dust bath and whatever you need to do to clean the cage) and interact with her only through the bars of the cage, or the door of the cage for two weeks. So if she runs away don't go in after her. But if you stay still for a while most chinchillas will come back. Take this one in gradual steps and gain her trust before taking her out to play and interact and do not chase her in the cage or grab her. Do not approach her from above with your hand and make only deliberate movements. Just be extra careful for a while and I think you'll see improvement and be patient. It can take weeks or months. Your pet is just not as outgoing as her cage mate and you're going to have to socialize her differently or you may end up with an aggressive chin.
Your hamster is inconsequential. Signs of fighting include big tufts of hair scattered around the cage. Should be pretty obvious and if you should ever see this in the future be sure to separate them permanently.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up