Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 1572 times)

chinchillalover101

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Finally
« on: December 25, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

As some of you may now, my chinchillas strongly disliked each other. Now that my younger one is bigger than my older one, they're finally starting to get along. I started to take them out together on a couch and let them into neutral territory. I found that they didn't bark or fight. I did that for a couple of days and recently brought them into a bathroom. They did fur bite for a little, however, now they seem to be mutual. They will get stand on two legs and stand tall and bark once but afterwards, they just squeek and run around. I put the stairs back into their cage and they both went into each others sections.I did this for 20 minutes then closed to off again/  Im going to continue to this and see how it works out and hopefully they will get along. I have a question. Sometimes they will pull out each others fur but they won't bark or anything. Also, they go nose to nose. what does this mean?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Finally
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »

That doesn't sound it's working out very well to me. When chinchillas pull hair out of each other it's recommended to keep them separate. Fur pulling is quite often a precursor to bloodletting. Maybe you should try again in two weeks.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Finally
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:27:14 PM »

Standing up means they feel threatened and are very defensive. The kacking is a them showing disgust and telling the other chin to leave them alone. Chasing and or pulling out the other chins fur is them openly attacking, so not a good sign. I would personally stop the intro before one of them gets hurt. They are giving you clear signals that they dislike each other
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up