Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla has small poop  (Read 1623 times)

sarahrose080

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
Chinchilla has small poop
« on: December 25, 2016, 02:16:05 PM »

I recently moved back home from Oregon to California for winter break, I brought my chin home with me and since I have gotten him here his poop seem to be smaller. He's eating the same as he was a few months ago (Oxbow pellets, mixed greens, fresh water, and only 1 treat a day (raisin, dandelion drop, nuts). I haven't been able to get him to eat hay in almost a year but he's been to the vet and been healthy. His poop has been small for 2 weeks, is he not getting enough nutrients or is there a bigger issue?

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla has small poop
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »

I'm not sure you should be giving your chin nuts. This is a massive no no here in the U.K. When you say mixed greens, are you referring to veg, or chin safe forage?
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

sarahrose080

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »

I'm not sure you should be giving your chin nuts. This is a massive no no here in the U.K. When you say mixed greens, are you referring to veg, or chin safe forage?
I can cut out the nuts if I need too, it was usually only half a cashew or half a peanut once a week that I would give it to him anyways. And by mixed greens he is usually fed collard greens, once in a while I'll give him low amounts of spinach or kale. He's been eating this type of stuff for the 6 years I've had him, he's about 7 right now.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »

Cut out mixed greens as well. Chinchillas are best suited for dry diets of hay and alfalfa-based pellets to keep the teeth properly trimmed. Considering the age and diet I recommend asking your vet about the condition of the teeth. An xray may be recommended to get a better assessment. Another thing you can do is get a fecal culture to rule out parasites. Also check your water system closely and carefully and make sure it's working properly.

Another thing you should be doing is weighing your chinchilla about once a week and keep track of any abnormal trends in weight. If your chin is losing weight and has smaller feces it is not eating properly.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »

The diet you listed is very unhealthy which can explain the small poops. Chins should have plain pellets, hay and water. No nuts, greens, seeds or yogurt. It upsets their GI tract and can actually lead to death eventually. I would advise weighing your chin to check for any losses
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up