Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla likes us blowing our noses?  (Read 742 times)

Trendychinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla likes us blowing our noses?
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »

Just curious. One of my our chinchillas that is about 16 years old and had a previous owner five or six years ago is interested in noses being blown into tissues. It is that sound that will get this chinchilla's attention and he will come to the side of his cage almost like he's begging for a treat. We can do it far away or close to him for him to watch and he always has the same reaction. He has a male companion that has been with him his whole life and does not give the same reaction. Any ideas? We were thinking that the noise is associated with him getting treats from the previous owner but we think that the other chinchilla would behave the same way. Thanks for any input! TC.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla likes us blowing our noses?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »

Chinchillas are sensitive to low frequency rumbling noises. I'm not sure why. Mine will wake up and explore their cage when I play my guitar. Even without an amp. They get very curious when I start up my battery powered sweeper to clean around the cage. The sound of a door slamming downstairs will make one of them stand up and bark with an alarm call. So it doesn't seem that strange to me, especially if your chins are associating a sound with getting a treat.

And please do be careful with treats. They should not get more than the equivalent volume of two raisins per day. More than this can affect their health terribly over time. My chins get scratched through the bars instead and they love it and they'll go over to where I am to get messed with. I'll make squeaking noises too sometimes they'll answer back. Chinchillas can be very vocal creatures and respond to all kinds of sounds.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up