Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scared chinchilla  (Read 632 times)

Heman90210

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
scared chinchilla
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

I accidentally left the cage door to the chinchilla cage open. The chinchilla was free for about 10 hours. lucky, she didnt chew through any cables in my room, but it's is understandably terrified. when I placed it back in the cage with it the other chinchilla that she has become acquainted with several years ago, she acted withdrawing and territorial. They started fighting right away causing some fur loss.  I have separated the chinchillas, but I am worried about the health and well being of my scared chinchilla. What should I do to make this passage easier on her and less stressful? 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:54:42 AM by Heman90210 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: scared chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »

Just do what you did when you first got her. Treat her with extra care to avoid startling, excessive noise, or excessive handling. Keep her on a regular schedule. Make sure the cage has constant food and water. Do not give food treats since her digestion is probably compromised from stress. Make sure her fecal output looks normal. I expect she'll make a full recovery in a few days.
You may want to run a fan in the room (never blow a fan into the cage) and the noise will have a calming effect by masking out potentially startling noises.
I'm glad your pet is okay. I think it will work out fine. You're not the only one.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up