Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to convince my parents for a Chinchilla  (Read 1683 times)

ChinchillaLover16

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How to convince my parents for a Chinchilla
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

As in the Subject I love Chinchillas I have been doing a TON of research about them , but my mother does not agree to get me chinchilla.I have a scotish terrier already which I love.Now how should I convince my mother to allow me to a Chin ?
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:22:21 PM by ChinchillaLover16 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How to convince my parents for a Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »

What are her concerns?

Also consider:
- Dogs can stress out chins or seriously injure/ kill chins through the bars. They are also known for eating them. They need their own room where the dog can be shut out.
- Air conditioning must be used to keep room temps below 73 degrees F at all times.
- Chinchillas behave nothing like cats or dogs. They have more in common with birds and they need to be handled with great care in a non-threatening envrionment.
- Chinchillas can live over 10 years. They are a long term commitment.

Chinchillas are less expensive to care for than dogs under normal circumstances
Vet expenses for chinchilas are much more expensive when there are problems

They do require work to care for. If you don't clean the cage regularly, make sure they have uninterrupted access to food and water, and keep their environment cool and calm the consequences can be fatal or expensive.

Unless you obtain them from a good and reputable breeder the chances of genetically inherited terminal diseases are greatly increased.

You need to be able to address all of those points to convince me that you should have a chinchilla. And in doing so you can probably better convince your mom if you explain them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:33:34 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ChinchillaLover16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »

Well I can adress all of the points above but my mother says 2 major things that stop me from getting a Chin.
1) She is against keeping chinchillas and such pets beacause they are "wild" animals and that it harms them when they live as pets.
2) It will "break" my dogs heart".
I could spend 4-5 hours with my chinchilla everyday during Monday-Friday and 6-7 during weekends

Edit*
Fixed Grammar and Spelling.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:42:09 AM by ChinchillaLover16 »

ChinchillaLover16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:07:25 AM »

Also does Chin colour matter ? I mean other than aesthethic values , does the colour matter like genetic difference or that 1 colour is more prone to disease?

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »

color does not affect health
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »

Domesticated chinchillas have been around for 100 years. They are no longer considered to be exotics by FDA standards. They can live to be over 25 years compared to the wild, which is closer to 5 years. Unlike dogs chinchillas do not need a lot of attention and do not need to be exercised regularly.

I do recommend having an exercise wheel for chinchillas that are fully grown or older. (Do not put immature chins with a wheel. They may kill themselves overexciting on it and overheat.)
They can do very well pretty much on their own but can become very tame with regular handling and care. They typically do not have the bond you would expect with a good dog. Chinchillas usually prefer solitude over being in the cage with other chins and it's safer for them to live alone. You'll be better off interacting with your chinchilla in multiple short sessions (5 minutes or less) throughout the day. They tend to prefer interaction through the bars and in the cage. It should not interfere with your dog at all.

Color mutations do not seem to have any effect on chinchilla health or behavior, although breeding methods across colors can have a significant impact if they are inbred, overbred, or not monitored for genetic conditions. A reputable breeder will take chins whose offspring expresses genetic defects out of the line.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up