Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing or fighting?  (Read 1470 times)

PipandKylo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Playing or fighting?
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »

I've got two males. Pip, I've had since February. Kylo, I've only had him since July. I did the side by side cage method, and they did fine. No spitting, trying to bite through cage bars or anything. During the first play times, Pip would do the mounting. Now during play times they both try and mount each other. Though, It's not constant. They'll do it here and there. For the past month, I've had them separated in the two story Critter Nation cage. Before I did that, I tried letting there together to see how they'd react, Pip would try and mount Kylo, who would then rear up and try and spray Pip. So I stopped that immediately. But tonight, after deep cleaning the cage, getting brand new liners, I've decided to open up both levels of the cage to them both. Of course, there is the mounting here and there, no severe chasing, no fur flying, no blood shed. They both have their own food dishes, water bottles and hay bins, which they've been eating and drinking out of each others. A couple of times when one tries to mount the other, they stand up and looks like what I'd call dancing. They're standing up and dancing in circles. Is fighting between chinchillas completely obvious? Am I being paranoid? I know that they can decide to fight to the death and it can get grim real quick. They've been grooming each other, little squeaks and kacks while getting groomed. I get involved after a few seconds when they mount, dance and/or kack.

They've been in the open cage together for a few hours now. They're not actively seeking each other out, but I just want to know if they're truly fighting, if it's completely obvious. Does this sound like they're getting along? Oh, and Kylo even humps Pip when he mounts him. I read about trimming whiskers, but have been on the fence about that. I plan on separating them when I go to sleep until this weekend due to me having to get up and get my son ready for school. Any insight, tips, personal stories would be appreciated!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Playing or fighting?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »

Are you absolutely sure they are two males? Spraying is unusual in males. Not unheard of, but that's usually a female trait. You may want to double check. Of course when males groom themselves it's pretty obvious they are male.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area. The dancing and circling behavior is disturbing and leads me to think they aren't well bonded yet. Dominance mounting is normal. I would say as long as one isn't cornering the other you're okay. I think separating them while you're gone or unable to supervise them is advisable. It still make take a few days for them to settle down once combined.

I have two male chins that kind of like yours myself. I don't trust them to be alone together but they are okay to visit each other for a couple of hours for play times. In my opinion my two chins are not entirely compatible. They will tolerate each other for short periods but their fighting escalates. I did have them living together for a few short weeks but there was fur pulling towards the end, and fur pulling, from what I understand, is where the line must be drawn, because the next step is biting. So they live separately. I allow them to play together supervised and at my own risk. Although I feel these chins can do this safely, not all chins are the same.

Yours may still be okay. It can take several days for chins to settle down after they're actually combined. And you can expect there will be squabbles and mounting. They must work out their dominance order in their own way. It should be understood that there will always be a risk, even among well bonded pairs, that they can wound each other. There is nothing wrong with keeping them separate and it is certainly the safest way. Most chins seem to prefer that. Although I know of many pet owners with multiple chins to a cage and they do just fine.

I hope others will comment as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

PipandKylo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »

Are you absolutely sure they are two males? Spraying is unusual in males. Not unheard of, but that's usually a female trait. You may want to double check. Of course when males groom themselves it's pretty obvious they are male.

Yes, they're both males. I've seen them both groom themselves. :P Usually when they do the little circle dance thing, it's followed by mounting. It kind of looks like they're trying to see who can mount who first. I separated them last night when I went to bed. Opened the entire cage back up to them both today, no serious chasing. They both groomed one another and shared a little pile of crushed rose hips without squabble. Sharing food and water. They did their circle dancing again. Usually when they mount, it's for a few seconds and then they popcorn off of each other. But does trimming whiskers help? They're both still in the cage at the moment, doing their own thing. Not seeking each other out. :)

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »

Sounds like you're doing very well to me. I don't think trimming whiskers is necessary unless you have one that is extremely dominant and dogging the other one.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

PipandKylo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »

Thank you! They cuddled up earlier and slept like that for a good 20 minutes. It was really cute! They're both still eating and drinking, so I think that's a good indication that this isn't too stressful on them. They're both tuckered out right now, sleeping on their own chin-chiller stones. I hope that they can live together, seeing cuddling chinchillas is pretty much the cutest thing you could possibly see. :)

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »

Very good. Sounds like you'll do fine. After sundown when they will become more active so make sure they stay calm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up