Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swollen genitalia  (Read 3420 times)

terezavictoria

Swollen genitalia
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »

Hi there,
Passing by my chinchilla's cage I saw him laying down and noticed that his genitalia is really swollen and kind of in a dark pink colour.His penis was a litlle bit out.He doesn't appear to be in pain and I haven't noticed a hair ring,however his testicles have an abnormal size and are hanging down kind of "stretched".What can this be?Have anyone see this or experienced this?

terezavictoria

Re: Swollen genitalia
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »

Update: I think that he may just have really huge ball sacs  ::)
I say this because when  tried to pick him up to take a picture he got quite stressed  :::((( and retracted this"sacs".It is also to be refered that is really hot here in Portugal right now

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »

If the room temperature is high, or if you pet has been active with higher body temperatures the male parts on chinchillas will descend a little.
Chinchillas should not be kept above 23C.
A male chinchilla does have a penis that sticks out, less than a centimeter, normally. When it is fully extended it reaches closer to 5-8 cm. Checking for hair rings requires pulling the whole thing out and looking closely at the base.
If it's out and won't retract that can indicate a serious problem. Pink is a normal color. If it's red that is a problem. If it is swollen you'll notice irregularity in thickness along the shaft. That indicates a problem that probably needs medical treatment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

terezavictoria

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »

They're in the cooler area of the house and I always make sure that it's not hot in there.However this year has been crazy hot in here,the hottest summer ever.So even with vents, the marble rock and lights off it's still a bit hot(not so hot that they could die).The poor things haven't been out of their cage or have had baths for almost two months.
Yeah I had no idea that their penises were so big,the other day I passed through my other chinchilla's cage and he was cleaning his material and I noticed how enormous it was  ::)
Can I properly check for hair rings or that has to be done by a vet?
I've checked him in the morning today and  everything was retracted.
I added some pictures that I was able to take,I'm sorry it's not a really good angle.He doesn't trust me fully yet,he loves to be cuddle but once I open the cage door he runs away from me and really hates being picked up,so when he's in my lap it's almost impossible to turn him to see his genitals.Thanks a lot for your reply.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »

That looks normal to me. Sounds like you have a nice pet. It's good to be observant.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

terezavictoria

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »

Definitely, I've had a chin that died from malocclusion and since then I always worry a lot when I see something "strange".It's just that his parts are so different from everything I've seen before.I'll move his cage to another location in the same room away from the lights to see if there is cooler.He 's a sweetie.Thank you a lot for your help

IkiKolohe

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Noble Born Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:29:04 AM »

Definitely, I've had a chin that died from malocclusion and since then I always worry a lot when I see something "strange".It's just that his parts are so different from everything I've seen before.I'll move his cage to another location in the same room away from the lights to see if there is cooler.He 's a sweetie.Thank you a lot for your help

Did someone give you info for checking for hair rings??  I did a YouTube search for "chinchilla hair ring check" and there were plenty of videos showing you how to do it.  These look to be the top 4:

https://youtu.be/klldt0TmLpI

https://youtu.be/QFF1Xg_6pHw

https://youtu.be/BafuUFuO-oA

https://youtu.be/s-lfH0CU0iM

Hope that helps!!

Tina

Tina, Noble Born Chinchillas
Mom to...

Joey (Standard Sc 50% RPAc)
and
Kira (Dark Ebony)

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »

Males can retract and drop their testicles at will so thats all you are seeing
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

terezavictoria

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »

Thank you all for your replys.
 IkiKolohe,apparently that was not the case but I'll sure check out the videos,thank you a lot :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up