Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's doing it and why?!  (Read 1353 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Who's doing it and why?!
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »

Hay guys
Just a quick question.
I have started to notice pee on the shells and on top of the chinchillas house and tonight on the outside of the wheel.
Now it got to the point we hadn't noticed it that much before but where their wooden house was before it was right in the corner of the cage. Not being moved much when we moved it the full shelf was covered. (Peeing down the side of the cage so we couldn't see) now I mean the full shelf had to come out and be replaced the house aswell. Now that the top is a brand new layout we noticed again in the morning pee on the house and shelfs. I was thinking maybe marking territory but coco and shadow have been together for about a year now so I don't think it's that.

I was thinking it was shadow because he went though a stage of peeing outside the cage. However today I noticed pee on the outside of the wheel. Now shadow is the only one that plays in the wheel so my thinking is that it's coco now so I think he has peed on the outside of the wheel and shadow has went in the wheel. There is no pee on the inside of the houses just seems to be a few shelfs on top of 1 house and today the outside of the wheel.

Anyway any thoughts on finding out who it is? And why all of a sudden are they peeing everywhere but the bottom of the cage? 
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Who's doing it and why?!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »

What bedding are you using? Are you sure they are both males? Urinating on shelves isnt uncommon but the change in behavior is the biggest concern
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »

Yes they are both males. I got them all from the same breeder
I have a little hay that gets changes regularly. I haven't heard of any other bedding that can be used. They don't pee inside the house it's just on the top of it and on the shelfs. There has occasionally been pee there like when we had tiles in there over the hot period we had some pee on there. If it's not uncommon behaviour to pee on the shelfs then that's fine. I was just worried incase it was unusual behaviour.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »

Hay is not a good bedding to use. Its not absorbent which may be why they are choosing to urinate in other places (they dont like to be splashed). You can use pine and aspen wood chips/shavings as bedding. Its much more absorbent and may encourage them to go on the bottom of the cage.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »

thats a goos shout! thanks very much. see they have never really peed in the houses they prefer to sleep in them, however i will try this and see if it makes a difference! Thanks very much
Pages: [1]   Go Up