Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Developing your eye  (Read 8604 times)

hope

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Developing your eye
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:09:13 AM »

I am a novice at showing but watched at the shows I could get to for a couple of years & am enjoying developing my eye & learning all I can.
I am wondering if those who have shown for a while can tell me how long it takes to fully develop your eye & have the ability yourself to know which chin best compliments the other?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Developing your eye
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »

Oh my, it seemed to take me forever!!  I have a great mentor (which I think is a must for every breeder).  He has been breeding for almost 20 years and when we first started he would pretty much put together my runs for me.  Every time we would vist he would pull out two chinchillas and ask me which was better and every time I would pick the wrong one!!  Eventually I got it though.  I took several years of his teaching plus careful watch at shows but I finally got it.  I think half of the fun of shows is to try to pick the best 2 or 3 on the table before the judge then see if you are right.  Its a great test.

Even once you get the idea it can still be hard.  Once it got easy to look at groomed chinchillas in prime and tell who was best, I had to move on to judging non-groomed chinchillas out of prime.  That gets tricky.  Its important to know because you will probably not always be buying 7-8 month old chinchillas.  Proven breeders will have out of shape fur and you will need to have some idea as to what they could look like in perfect shape to know if they are right for your breeding program.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:06:46 AM »

I'm certainly not an expert, by any means, but I think the more chinchillas you see, the easier it is to judge them, especially if many of the ones you've seen have been show winners.

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:22:52 PM »

The ECBC has judges training program. The next one is in Nov. Some where in OK
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:24:50 PM by ThreeLilChins »

McCaille

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Rave
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:39 PM »

I wish I had a closer breeder to really mentor, everyone is further away. I use every opportunity I can though to talk with the long time ranchers.

The last 2 shows I've gone to I've taken to talking with the judges after the show and even bringing my animals up to discuss things with them about the specific chin. I'm getting there, but still lots of stuff to pick up. I notice it gets a little better every time.

I was quite proud of myself last weekend though. I was looking through chins, and the only thing I really wanted was a dark standard male, and I had come across one that really caught my eye, and kept going back to him, he ended up being the Champ Male of Show (and coming home with me...haha) I really surprised myself, I know part of it was dumb luck as I know my eye isn't that great yet, but like I mentioned it's getting there.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »

::silly::I think it just takes time and lots of practice ... putting your chins side by side ever so often will also teach you what to look for (good & bad) in a chinchilla.  Close up pictures placed side by side help also ... but there is nothing like hands on and going to shows and other breeders or ranches.
     Keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions and you will find you can learn something new everytime.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

hope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »

MCaille you must be well pleased you picked out the Show Champ & came home with him :)
I also wish I had  someone close enough to be my mentor who could come to my unit & give me hands on help.
I have a couple of very experienced people who help me online & one of them gives me sort of 'online lessons' which is very helpful.
Chinclub, I love listening to the judges comments about each chin & picking out which I think is the best & I can usually see which chins are going to win but not necessarily the order & think I have a long way to go yet :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:19:10 PM »

I wish I had a closer breeder to really mentor
Now that I hear very well.
I'm the biggest and possibly the only breeder on the whole island :P
Now that's sad. :::(((
I have to get all my mentoring right here, from you guys.
Jamie is the closest I've had to a mentor.She's put up with me all these years. ;)
You'll never know how much I wish I could afford to get to a show. :(
Debbie.nl.ca

RMC

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

The knowledge I learn at shows is invaluable to me. I can't afford not to go.The knowledge I learn at shows is more valuable to my herd then even a top quality herd improvement chin is.  And yes the closest show for me is a eight hour drive. The closest mentor is over 5 hours a way.
I also try to arrive early and help set up as well as stay late to help clean up. I can get so much info. and help from people when you are helping set up,clean up .It is a lot more relaxed and people are more likely to talk freely during this time then during the rush  just prior to or after a show. Just my 2cents.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »

::silly::Ditto! Every show I go to I learn new things ... some things, I probably don't even realize at the time, but it is stored away in the back of what little mind I have, for future use.  :blush2:
      I talk with newbies to oldies (like Vetter, Ritterspach, Shoots and Woods) and everyone in between.  The information and knowledge is invaluable!  What the oldies take for granted and don't even bring-up, a newbie will often ask, so you can learn from both ends.  The closest show is over 200 miles from me and the nationals is over 600 miles from me, but those are trips that are a must ... if at all possible.  ::nod::
     You also learn with your eyes and hands, as well as your ears ... there, information is free and no one can take this knowledge away from you. When you can make it to a show, soak it all up like a dry sponge soaks up water.  As a general rule, keep your mouth shut (except to ask a question or answer a question directed to you) and keep your eyes and ears open.   Showing intrest in what is being said is a silent compliment to those talking.
     Helping before and after a show is good edict, as well as it being a more relaxed learning situation.   

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:06:36 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 08:53:32 AM »

Gee thanks guys :-\, now I feel better, NOT
But for me all the way over here, for flights, and hotels, it would cost a new mortgage.
So thank you all so very much for sharing what you've learned, I'd be lost with out you.
 ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 09:43:20 AM »

The knowledge I learn at shows is invaluable to me. I can't afford not to go.The knowledge I learn at shows is more valuable to my herd then even a top quality herd improvement chin is.  And yes the closest show for me is a eight hour drive. The closest mentor is over 5 hours a way.
I also try to arrive early and help set up as well as stay late to help clean up. I can get so much info. and help from people when you are helping set up,clean up .It is a lot more relaxed and people are more likely to talk freely during this time then during the rush  just prior to or after a show. Just my 2cents.

I agree.  The more exposure you get the more you learn.  After shows is a great time to talk with old timers.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up