Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Female housed with two males?  (Read 755 times)

PipandKylo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Female housed with two males?
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:44:46 PM »

I haven't gotten a female yet, and I know housing her in the same cage with a male who isn't neutered would result in babies. I do not want to breed, I feel that that's something I would only consider after owning chinchillas for quite awhile. So now that that's out of the way, I want to know if I would have to house my two male chinchillas separately if I brought a female into our home? I've heard that males often fight for breeding rights. My males aren't even housed in the same cage yet, we're still working on bonding them, it's going well, just taking our time with them! I've just found someone who is looking to re-home their lovely girl, and she is LOVELY. But I'm hesitant on bringing a third chinchilla into my home when the two I have aren't completely bonded just yet. If anyone has experience with this or any information, I'd be happy to hear it! :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Female housed with two males?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »

I advise against this. Males are known for killing each other over females even if they are in a separate cage if they can hear and/or smell the female. If you bring her home I recommend keeping her in a separate room in the house.

As you know it's difficult bonding only two. This will add another dimension of difficulty. When it comes to combining chinchillas for any reason it is always at your own risk and there are never any guarantees.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Female housed with two males?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »

I have many colonies of males in the same room as my breeding herd. It all boils down to personality. If yours get along, then they will be fine (female or not)
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up